SB 2514-A — Department of Transportation
by Senator Lee
This summary is provided for information only and does not represent the opinion of any Senator, Senate Officer, or Senate Office.
Prepared by: Appropriations Committee (AP)
- Redirects an additional portion of the $225 additional fee imposed on initial registration of motor vehicles (referred to as the “New Wheels Fee”) that is currently deposited into the General Revenue Fund to the State Transportation Trust Fund (STTF) within the FDOT.
- The additional revenues directed to the STTF increases the New Wheels Fee revenues for the STTF from $107 million to $206 million annually, or an increase of $99 million.
- Specifies how the revenues from this fee are to be used by the FDOT. The designated uses include the following programs and amounts:
- The Florida Shared-Use Nonmotorized Trail Network - $25 million.
- The New Starts Transit Program - 3.4 percent ($7.1 million).
- The Small County Outreach Program - 5 percent ($10.2 million).
- The Florida Strategic Intermodal System - 20.6 percent ($42.5 million).
- The Transportation Regional Incentive Program - 6.9 percent ($14.2 million).
- All remaining funds for any transportation purpose authorized by law.
- Creates the Florida Shared-Use Nonmotorized Trail (SunTrail) network as a component of the Florida Greenways and Trails System.
- The SunTrail network consists of multiuse trails or shared-use paths separated from motor vehicle traffic and constructed with asphalt, concrete or other hard surface which provides nonmotorized transportation opportunities for bicyclists and pedestrians statewide.
- Includes provisions for the planning, development, operation, and maintenance of the SunTrail network components.
- Requires the FDOT to allocate $25 million annually in the FDOT work program for the SunTrail network.
If approved by the Governor, these provisions are effective on July 1, 2015
Vote: Senate 37-0; House 113-0