CS/HB 145 — Commercial Motor Vehicle Review Board
by Highway and Waterway Safety Subcommittee and Rep. Beshears (CS/CS/CS/SB 220 by Fiscal Policy Committee; Governmental Oversight and Accountability Committee; Transportation Committee; and Senator Simpson)
This summary is provided for information only and does not represent the opinion of any Senator, Senate Officer, or Senate Office.
Prepared by: Transportation Committee (TR)
The bill addresses various issues relating to commercial motor vehicle overweight citations and the Commercial Motor Vehicle Review Board (Review Board). Related to overweight citations, the bill:
- Authorizes a driver of a commercial motor vehicle that receives an overweight citation for excess weight measured by portable scales to proceed to the nearest fixed scale at an official weigh station or certified public scale for verification of weight and requires the Florida Highway Patrol to escort the driver to the nearest fixed scale and attend the re-weighing;
- Voids the citation if the vehicle is found to be in compliance with weight requirements at the fixed scale; and
- Repeals provisions authorizing the Florida Highway Patrol to require vehicles be driven to the nearest weigh station or public scales for verification of weight and requiring an officer to weigh a vehicle at a fixed scale rather than by portable scales upon the request of the driver, if such a facility is available within five miles.
Related to the Review Board, the bill:
- Revises the membership and related provisions of the Review Board; and
- Requires the Department of Transportation (DOT) to provide video conference capability at each of its district offices to enable a person requesting a hearing before the Commercial Motor Vehicle Review Board to appear remotely.
If approved by the Governor, these provisions take effect July 1, 2015, except where otherwise provided.
Vote: Senate 39-0; House 116-1