CS/HB 189 — Teacher Certification
by K-12 Subcommittee; and Rep. Diaz, M., and others (CS/SB 432 by Education Pre-K – 12 Committee and Senator Hutson)
This summary is provided for information only and does not represent the opinion of any Senator, Senate Officer, or Senate Office.
Prepared by: Education Pre-K - 12 Committee (ED)
The bill creates an expedited pathway for an individual holding a Florida temporary educator certificate to earn a Florida professional educator certificate for grades 6 through 12.
Specifically, the bill allows an individual to earn a professional certificate if the individual:
- Meets the general certification requirements;
- Holds a master’s or higher degree in the area of science, technology, engineering, or mathematics;
- Teaches a high school course in the subject of the advanced degree;
- Is rated highly effective as determined by the teacher’s performance evaluation system, based in part on student performance as measured by a statewide, standardized assessment, or an Advanced Placement, Advanced International Certificate of Education, or International Baccalaureate examination; and
- Passes the Florida professional education competency examination required by State Board of Education rule.
If approved by the Governor, these provisions take effect July 1, 2016.
Vote: Senate 38-1; House 100-11