(1) It is the intent of the Legislature that all licensed drivers in Florida be reexamined upon renewal of their licenses. Because only a small percentage of drivers in the state are categorized as problem drivers, the Legislature intends that renewals be processed expeditiously by examinations of the licensee’s eyesight and hearing only.
(2) For each licensee whose driving record does not show any revocations, disqualifications, or suspensions for the preceding 7 years or any convictions for the preceding 3 years except for convictions of the following nonmoving violations: (a) Failure to exhibit a vehicle registration certificate, rental agreement, or cab card pursuant to s. 320.0605; (b) Failure to renew a motor vehicle or mobile home registration that has been expired for 4 months or less pursuant to s. 320.07(3)(a); (c) Operating a motor vehicle with an expired license that has been expired for 4 months or less pursuant to s. 322.065; (d) Failure to carry or exhibit a license pursuant to s. 322.15(1); or (e) Failure to notify the department of a change of address or name within 10 days pursuant to s. 322.19,
the department shall cause such licensee’s license to be prominently marked with the notation “Safe Driver.”
(3) Eyesight examinations must be administered as provided in s. 322.12.
(4) An examination fee may not be assessed for reexamination required by this section.
(5) Members of the Armed Forces, or their dependents residing with them, shall be granted an automatic extension for the expiration of their licenses without reexamination while serving on active duty outside this state. This extension is valid for 90 days after the member of the Armed Forces is either discharged or returns to this state to live.
(6) In addition to any other examination authorized by this section, an applicant for a renewal of a commercial driver’s license may be required to complete successfully an examination of his or her knowledge regarding state and federal rules, regulations, and laws, governing the type of vehicle which he or she is applying to be licensed to operate.
(7) In addition to any other examination authorized by this section, an applicant for a renewal of an endorsement issued under s. 322.57(1)(a), (b), (d), (e), or (f) may be required to complete successfully an examination of his or her knowledge regarding state and federal rules, regulations, and laws, governing the type of vehicle which he or she is seeking an endorsement to operate.