2012 Florida Statutes
(1) For the purposes of providing the funds necessary to carry out the powers and duties of the plan, the board of directors shall assess the member HMOs at such time and for such amounts as the board finds necessary. Assessments shall be due not less than 30 days after written notice to the member insurers.
(2) Assessments for funds to meet the requirements of the plan with respect to an insolvent HMO shall not be made until necessary to implement the purposes of this part. In order to carry out its duties and powers under this part, upon the insolvency of an HMO, the plan shall levy and collect assessments as follows:
(a) Each HMO, prior to receiving a certificate of authority after July 1, 1989, shall pay an assessment of $25,000 to the plan.
(b) If the funds provided under paragraph (a) are insufficient to carry out the powers and duties of the plan, the plan shall levy an assessment directly against all HMOs.
(3) All assessments against HMOs shall be levied as a percentage of annual earned premium revenue for non-Medicare and non-Medicaid contracts. In no event may the plan assess in any calendar year more than 0.5 percent of each HMO’s annual earned premium revenue for non-Medicare and non-Medicaid contracts.
(4) The plan may temporarily defer, in whole or in part, the assessment of a member HMO, if, in the opinion of the board, payment of the assessment would endanger the ability of the HMO to fulfill its contractual obligations.
(5) It shall be proper for any member HMO, in determining its premium rates, to consider the amount reasonably necessary to meet its assessment obligations under this part.
History.—ss. 1, 23, ch. 88-388; ss. 107, 187, 188, ch. 91-108; s. 4, ch. 91-429.