2015 Florida Statutes
335.15 Detour roads.—
(1) Whenever any road or structure on the State Highway System is repaired, reconstructed, relocated, or otherwise altered in such a manner as necessitates the closing of such road or structure to use by the public, the department shall provide a detour road to afford a safe means of travel around such road or structure so closed. The department may use any other existing road as a part of such detour road. However, the department shall give prior notice to the local governmental entity within which any such alternate road is located. The length of the detour route shall be as short as is practicable.
(2) Subsection (1) shall not be construed to prevent the department from adopting rules for one-way travel for a distance not in excess of 1 mile.
(3) This section is applicable in every case, whether the work provided for in subsection (1) is done by the department or at its direction or under its supervision.
(4)(a) This section does not apply if its application would be contrary to the regulations or requirements of any federal agency providing all or a part of the funds for any such work.
(b) This section does not apply in any case of emergency highway work caused by act of God or other sudden, unexpected event.
(5) Whenever a temporary detour is necessary to bypass a bridge on the State Highway System due to accident, unforeseen failure of equipment, or emergency traffic stoppage and the only available detour is over a toll facility, the department is authorized to pay to the appropriate authority the tolls that would normally have been collected.
(6) Whenever any road on the State Highway System is repaired, reconstructed, or otherwise altered in a manner that necessitates the closing of one or more traveling lanes of the road for a period of time exceeding 2 hours, the party performing such work shall give notice to the appropriate local law enforcement agency within whose jurisdiction such road is located prior to commencing work on the project. However, when the closing of one or more lanes is required because of emergency conditions, such notice shall be waived.
History.—s. 39, ch. 29965, 1955; ss. 23, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 2, ch. 82-94; s. 55, ch. 84-309; s. 1, ch. 86-37; s. 35, ch. 91-221.