2017 Florida Statutes
570.691 Direct-support organization.—
(1) The department may authorize the establishment of direct-support organizations to provide assistance, funding, and promotional support for the museums and other programs of the department. The following provisions shall govern the creation, use, powers, and duties of the direct-support organizations:
(a) The department shall enter into a memorandum or letter of agreement with the direct-support organization, which shall specify the approval of the department, the powers and duties of the direct-support organization, and rules with which the direct-support organization must comply.
(b) The department may authorize, without charge, appropriate use of property, facilities, and personnel of the department by the direct-support organization. The use shall be for the approved purposes of the direct-support organization and may not be made at times or places that would unreasonably interfere with opportunities for the general public to use department facilities.
(c) The department shall prescribe by agreement conditions with which the direct-support organization must comply in order to use property, facilities, or personnel of the department. Such conditions shall provide for budget and audit review and oversight by the department.
(d) The department may not authorize the use of property, facilities, or personnel of the museum, department, or designated program by the direct-support organization that does not provide equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, or national origin.
(2)(a) The direct-support organization may conduct programs and activities; raise funds; request and receive grants, gifts, and bequests of money; acquire, receive, hold, invest, and administer, in its own name, securities, funds, objects of value, or other property, real or personal; and make expenditures to or for the direct or indirect benefit of the museum or designated program.
(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of s. 287.025(1)(e), the direct-support organization may enter into contracts to insure property of the museum or designated programs and may insure objects or collections on loan from others in satisfying security terms of the lender.
(3) The direct-support organization shall provide for an annual financial audit in accordance with s. 215.981.
(4) A department employee, direct-support organization or museum employee, volunteer, or director, or designated program may not:
(a) Receive a commission, fee, or financial benefit in connection with the sale or exchange of real or personal property or historical objects to the direct-support organization, the museum, or the designated program; or
(b) Be a business associate of any individual, firm, or organization involved in the sale or exchange of real or personal property to the direct-support organization, the museum, or the designated program.
(5) All moneys received by the direct-support organization shall be deposited into an account of the direct-support organization and shall be used by the organization in a manner consistent with the goals of the museum or designated program.
(6) The identity of a donor or prospective donor who desires to remain anonymous and all information identifying such donor or prospective donor are confidential and exempt from the provisions of s. 119.07(1) and s. 24(a), Art. I of the State Constitution.
(7) The Commissioner of Agriculture, or the commissioner’s designee, may serve on the board of trustees and the executive committee of any direct-support organization established to benefit the museum or any designated program.
(8) The department may terminate its agreement with a direct-support organization at any time if the department determines that the direct-support organization no longer meets the objectives of this section.
(9) Upon termination of the direct-support organization, the assets of the direct-support organization shall be distributed pursuant to its articles of incorporation or bylaws or, if not provided for, to the department.
(10) This section is repealed October 1, 2019, unless reviewed and saved from repeal by the Legislature.
History.—s. 13, ch. 92-151; s. 37, ch. 93-169; s. 1, ch. 95-126; s. 350, ch. 96-406; s. 1184, ch. 97-103; s. 123, ch. 2001-266; s. 11, ch. 2011-56; s. 70, ch. 2011-206; s. 13, ch. 2013-226; s. 21, ch. 2014-96; s. 103, ch. 2014-150.
Note.—Former s. 570.903.