CS/CS/HB 231: Family Law
GENERAL BILL by Judiciary Committee ; Civil Justice Subcommittee ; Workman ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Cummings ; Diaz, M. ; Gaetz ; Hood ; Hooper ; Hutson ; Moskowitz ; Raburn
Family Law; Revises factors to be considered in alimony awards; provides that award of alimony automatically terminates without further action under certain circumstances; provides that the party seeking alimony has burden of proof; requires court to consider specified factors when determining type and amount of alimony; revises provisions for award of durational alimony; provides presumptions for or against awards based duration of marriage; provides for imputation of income in certain circumstances; provides for offset of or other consideration of alimony obligation in determining equitable distribution or child support in certain circumstances; provides presumption in favor of equal time-sharing by parents; provides exceptions; provides that alimony order be modified upon showing of substantial change in circumstances by clear & convincing evidence; provides that increase in an obligor's income may not be considered permanent in nature until maintained for specified period; provides for attorney fees & costs if obligee unnecessarily or unreasonably litigates petition for modification or termination; revises provisions relating to effect of supportive relationship on alimony; provides that attaining of retirement age is substantial change in circumstances; allows separate adjudication of issues in certain circumstances; provides for applicability.
Last Action: 4/17/2013 House - Laid on Table -HJ 657
Bill Text: PDF
• Referred to Civil Justice Subcommittee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 36
• On Committee agenda-- Civil Justice Subcommittee, 02/13/13, 2:00 pm, 404 HOB
• CS by Civil Justice Subcommittee; YEAS 10 NAYS 2 -HJ 155
• Pending review of CS under Rule 7.19(c)
• Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 152
• Introduced -HJ 36
• CS by Civil Justice Subcommittee read 1st time -HJ 146
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 03/14/13, 9:00 am, 404 HOB
• CS/CS by- Judiciary Committee; YEAS 14 NAYS 4 -HJ 272
• Pending review of CS -under Rule 7.19(c)
• CS/CS by Judiciary Committee read 1st time -HJ 262
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 284
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/17/13
• Substituted CS/CS/SB 718 (Vetoed by Governor) -HJ 657
• Laid on Table -HJ 657
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.