HB 527: Sentencing for Capital Felonies
GENERAL BILL by Sprowls ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Cortes, B. ; Gonzalez ; Plakon
Sentencing for Capital Felonies; Requires jury's recommendation of sentence of death to be unanimous; requires jury to recommend life imprisonment without possibility of parole if jury does not unanimously recommend sentence of death.
Last Action: 3/10/2017 House - Laid on Table, refer to SB 280 -HJ 343
Bill Text: PDF
• Referred to Criminal Justice Subcommittee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 69
• On Committee agenda-- Criminal Justice Subcommittee, 02/15/17, 9:00 am, Sumner Hall
• Favorable by Criminal Justice Subcommittee; YEAS 14 NAYS 0 -HJ 271
• Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 271
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 02/21/17, 4:00 pm, Sumner Hall
• Favorable by- Judiciary Committee; YEAS 17 NAYS 1 -HJ 272
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 272
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 03/09/17
• Introduced -HJ 69
• Read 2nd time -HJ 323
• Placed on 3rd reading -HJ 343
• Substituted SB 280 -HJ 343
• Laid on Table, refer to SB 280 -HJ 343
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.