SECTION 498 School district virtual course offerings.
1003.498 School district virtual course offerings.—
(1) School districts may deliver courses in the traditional school setting by personnel certified pursuant to s. 1012.55 who provide direct instruction through a virtual environment or though a blended virtual and physical environment.
(2) School districts may offer virtual courses for students enrolled in the school district. These courses must be identified in the course code directory. Students who meet the eligibility requirements of s. 1002.455 may participate in these virtual course offerings.
(a) Any eligible student who is enrolled in a school district may register and enroll in an online course offered by his or her school district.
(b) Any eligible student who is enrolled in a school district may register and enroll in an online course offered by any other school district in the state, except as limited by the following:
1. A student may not enroll in a course offered through a virtual instruction program provided pursuant to s. 1002.45.
2. A student may not enroll in a virtual course offered by another school district if:
a. The course is offered online by the school district in which the student resides; or
b. The course is offered in the school in which the student is enrolled. However, a student may enroll in an online course offered by another school district if the school in which the student is enrolled offers the course but the student is unable to schedule the course in his or her school.
3. The school district in which the student completes the course shall report the student’s completion of that course for funding pursuant to 1s. 1011.61(1)(c)1.b.(VI), and the home school district shall not report the student for funding for that course.
For purposes of this paragraph, the combined total of all school district reported FTE may not be reported as more than 1.0 full-time equivalent student in any given school year. The Department of Education shall establish procedures to enable interdistrict coordination for the delivery and funding of this online option.
History.—s. 7, ch. 2011-137.
1Note.—Substituted by the editors for a reference to s. 1011.61(1)(c)b.(VI) to conform to the complete citation for the provision created by s. 9, ch. 2011-137, relating to FTE calculation for funding for completion of an online course in a district other than the student’s home district.