The following words and terms, unless the context clearly indicates a different meaning, shall have the following meanings:
(1) “Bonds” or “revenue bonds” means the bonds authorized to be issued by any local agency under this part, which may consist of a single bond. The term “bonds” or “revenue bonds” also includes a single bond, a promissory note or notes, or other debt obligations evidencing an obligation to repay borrowed money together with any security instruments or agreements securing repayment of such borrowed money and payable solely from the revenue derived from the sale, operation, or leasing of any project or other payments received under financing agreements with respect thereto.
(2) “Cost,” as applied to any project, shall embrace:
(a) The cost of construction;
(b) The cost of acquisition of property, including rights in land and other property, both real and personal and improved and unimproved;
(c) The cost of demolishing, removing, or relocating any buildings or structures on lands so acquired, including the cost of acquiring any lands to which such buildings or structures may be moved or relocated;
(d) The cost of all machinery and equipment, financing charges, interest prior to and during construction, and, for a reasonable period after completion of construction, the cost of engineering and architectural surveys, plans, and specifications; and
(e) The cost of consultant and legal services, other expenses necessary or incident to determining the feasibility or practicability of constructing such project, administrative and other expenses necessary or incident to the construction of such project, and the financing of the construction thereof, including reimbursement to any state or other governmental agency or any lessee of such project for such expenditures made with the approval of the local agency that would be costs of the project hereunder had they been made directly by the local agency.
(3) “Governing body” means the board, commission, or other governing body of any local agency in which the general legislative powers of such local agency are vested.
(4) “Local agency” means any county or municipality existing or hereafter created pursuant to the laws of the state or any special district or other local governmental body existing or hereafter created pursuant to the laws of the state, the purpose for the creation of which could reasonably be interpreted to be consistent with the issuance of revenue bonds to finance the cost of projects within the meaning of this part.
(5) “Project” means any capital project comprising an industrial or manufacturing plant, a research and development park, an agricultural processing or storage facility, a warehousing or distribution facility, a headquarters facility, a tourism facility, a convention or trade show facility, an urban parking facility, a trade center, a health care facility, an educational facility, a correctional or detention facility, a motion picture production facility, a preservation or rehabilitation of a certified historic structure, an airport or port facility, a commercial project in an enterprise zone, a pollution-control facility, a hazardous or solid waste facility, a social service center, or a mass commuting facility, including one or more buildings and other structures, whether or not on the same site or sites; any rehabilitation, improvement, renovation, or enlargement of, or any addition to, any buildings or structures for use as a factory, a mill, a processing plant, an assembly plant, a fabricating plant, an industrial distribution center, a repair, overhaul, or service facility, a test facility, an agricultural processing or storage facility, a warehousing or distribution facility, a headquarters facility, a tourism facility, a convention or trade show facility, an urban parking facility, a trade center, a health care facility, an educational facility, a correctional or detention facility, a motion picture production facility, a preservation or rehabilitation of a certified historic structure, an airport or port facility, a commercial project in an enterprise zone, a pollution-control facility, a hazardous or solid waste facility, a social service center, or a mass commuting facility, and other facilities, including research and development facilities, for manufacturing, processing, assembling, repairing, overhauling, servicing, testing, or handling of any products or commodities embraced in any industrial or manufacturing plant, in connection with the purposes of a research and development park, or other facilities for or used in connection with an agricultural processing or storage facility, a warehousing or distribution facility, a headquarters facility, a tourism facility, a convention or trade show facility, an urban parking facility, a trade center, a health care facility, an educational facility, a correctional or detention facility, a motion picture production facility, a preservation or rehabilitation of a certified historic structure, an airport or port facility, or a commercial project in an enterprise zone or for controlling air or water pollution or for the disposal, processing, conversion, or reclamation of hazardous or solid waste, a social service center, or a mass commuting facility; and including also the sites thereof and other rights in land therefor whether improved or unimproved, machinery, equipment, site preparation and landscaping, and all appurtenances and facilities incidental thereto, such as warehouses, utilities, access roads, railroad sidings, truck docking and similar facilities, parking facilities, office or storage or training facilities, public lodging and restaurant facilities, dockage, wharfage, solar energy facilities, and other improvements necessary or convenient for any manufacturing or industrial plant, research and development park, agricultural processing or storage facility, warehousing or distribution facility, tourism facility, convention or trade show facility, urban parking facility, trade center, health care facility, educational facility, a correctional or detention facility, motion picture production facility, preservation or rehabilitation of a certified historic structure, airport or port facility, commercial project in an enterprise zone, pollution-control facility, hazardous or solid waste facility, social service center, or a mass commuting facility and any one or more combinations of the foregoing.
(6) “State” means the State of Florida.
(7) “Research and development park” means a center of research and development activity related to the research and development activities of one or more affiliated institutions of higher education, including scientifically oriented production or educational programs of postsecondary educational institutions, consisting of research and development facilities; scientifically oriented production or assembly facilities; research institutes; prototype, scientific, and product testing laboratories; related business and government installations; or similar related facilities, together with land, including all necessary appurtenances, rights, and franchises directly relating thereto, with related buildings, facilities, and personal properties, but only to the extent that such facilities are engaged in research and development, are necessary to encourage or complement the purposes of a research and development park, or are in support of any facilities or improvements located or constructed at such a center or activities or operations conducted at such a center for purposes authorized by this subsection. For purposes of this subsection, the administering or taking of professional or occupational licensing examinations shall not constitute testing, nor shall any room, building, or facility in which such examinations are administered or taken constitute a testing laboratory.
(8) “Agricultural processing or storage facility” means property used or useful in the separation, cleaning, processing, converting, packaging, handling, storing, and other activities necessary for the preparation of crops, livestock, related products, and other products of agriculture, including nonfarm facilities for production of agricultural products in whole or in part through natural processes, animal husbandry, and apiaries.
(9) “Warehousing or distribution facility” means property used or useful in the storage or centralized distribution of products of, resulting from, or used in manufacturing, agriculture, fishing, or mining, including, without limitation thereto, warehouses, distribution centers, freight terminals, and elevators, but excluding storage facilities serving a single retail outlet.
(10) “Headquarters facility” means property used for or useful in connection with an international, national, or regional headquarters office of a multinational or multistate business enterprise or national trade association, whether separate from or connected with other facilities used by such business enterprise.
(11) “Tourism facility” means property used for or useful in connection with theme parks; zoological gardens; amusement parks; major art, historical, educational, or trade museums; cultural or performing arts centers; or spectator or participatory sports facilities generally available to the public, including, without limitation thereto, marinas, arenas, beaches, bathing facilities, golf courses, theaters, auditoriums, racetracks, and frontons.
(12) “Public lodging or restaurant facility” means property used for any public lodging establishment as defined in s. 509.242 or public food service establishment as defined in s. 509.013(5) if it is part of the complex of, or necessary to, another facility qualifying under this part.
(13) “Convention or trade show facility” means property used for or useful in connection with conventions and trade shows, including special purpose buildings and structures, such as meeting halls and display areas, which are generally used and generally available to house conventions or trade shows.
(14) “Urban parking facilities” means property used or useful in connection with eliminating traffic congestion and urban blight, improving access and egress, and providing for development or redevelopment of central cities.
(15) “Trade center” means property used for or useful in connection with the providing of a centralized location for the promotion and conduct on a continuing basis of national or international trade or trade pertaining to particular segments of the national or international economy, including, without limitation thereto, meeting and display areas, communication centers, and offices.
(16) “Health care facility” means property operated in the private sector, whether operated for profit or not, used for or useful in connection with the diagnosis, treatment, therapy, rehabilitation, housing, or care of or for aged, sick, ill, injured, infirm, impaired, disabled, or handicapped persons, without discrimination among such persons due to race, religion, or national origin; or for the prevention, detection, and control of disease, including, without limitation thereto, hospital, clinic, emergency, outpatient, and intermediate care, including, but not limited to, facilities for the elderly such as assisted living facilities, facilities defined in s. 154.205(8), day care and share-a-home facilities, nursing homes, and the following related property when used for or in connection with the foregoing: laboratory; research; pharmacy; laundry; health personnel training and lodging; patient, guest, and health personnel food service facilities; and offices and office buildings for persons engaged in health care professions or services; provided, if required by ss. 400.601-400.611 and ss. 408.031-408.045, a certificate of need therefor is obtained prior to the issuance of the bonds. (17) “Airport or port facility” means any one or more facilities within the definition of “airport” in s. 330.27, or within the definitions of “harbor and port facilities” in s. 159.02 or “port facilities” in s. 315.02, including any property used by or useful for services to, or the convenience of, freight or passenger carriers, aircraft, vessels, passengers, or otherwise functionally related or subordinate to airport or port facilities as so defined.
(18) “Financing agreement” means a lease, lease-purchase agreement, lease with an option to purchase, sale or installment sale agreement, whether title passes in whole or in part at any time prior to, at, or after completion of the project, loan agreement, or other agreement forming the basis for the financing under this part, including any agreements, guarantees, or security instruments forming part of or related to providing assurance of payment of the obligations under such financing agreement.
(19) “Commercial project in an enterprise zone” means buildings, building additions or renovations, or other structures to be newly constructed and suitable for use by a commercial enterprise, and includes the site on which such buildings or structures are located, located in an area designated as an enterprise zone pursuant to s. 290.0065.
(20) “Motion picture production facility” means property used for or useful in connection with the preparation of motion picture or television productions produced for showing on screens or television for theatrical, commercial, advertising, or educational purposes utilizing live, animated, or a combination of live and animated actions, including, without limitation thereto, sound stages, editing facilities, facilities for production of background scenes, wardrobe facilities, recording and sound effects studios, and other facilities necessary or incidental thereto. This term does not include facilities or equipment purchased, leased, or used by television broadcasting or cable companies licensed by the Federal Communications Commission.
(21) “Preservation or rehabilitation of a certified historic structure” means any rehabilitation, restoration, or renovation of a “certified historic structure,” as defined in s. 48(g)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, as amended, or any rehabilitation, restoration, or renovation of any structure in a “registered historic district” defined in s. 48(g)(3)(B) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, as amended.
(22) “Educational facility” means: (a) Property, limited to a structure suitable for use as a dormitory or other housing facility or a dining facility, that is operated in the public sector and used for or useful in connection with the operation of an institution for higher education, as defined in s. 243.20(8), which offers the baccalaureate or a higher degree and that is constructed in compliance with applicable codes as determined by appropriate state agencies.
(b) Property that comprises the buildings and equipment, structures, and special education use areas that are built, installed, or established to serve primarily the educational purposes of operating any nonprofit private preschool, kindergarten, elementary school, middle school, or high school that is established under chapter 617 or chapter 623, or that is owned or operated by an organization described in s. 501(c)(3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code, or operating any preschool, kindergarten, elementary school, middle school, or high school that is owned or operated as part of the state’s system of public education, including, but not limited to, a charter school or a lab school operated under chapter 1002. The requirements of this part for the financing of projects through local agencies shall also apply to such schools. Bonds issued under the provisions of this part for such schools shall not be deemed to constitute a debt, liability, or obligation of the state or any political subdivision thereof, or a pledge of the faith and credit of the state or of any such political subdivision, but shall be payable solely from the revenues provided therefor.
(23) “Mass commuting facility” has the same meaning as in s. 103(b)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, as amended, and the regulations issued thereunder.
(24) “Social service center” means a community or social service center constructed for an organization which holds current exemptions from federal income tax under s. 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.