- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2012 Florida Statutes
Authority to issue citations.
Authority to issue citations.
456.077 Authority to issue citations.—
(1) Notwithstanding s. 456.073, the board, or the department if there is no board, shall adopt rules to permit the issuance of citations. The citation shall be issued to the subject and shall contain the subject’s name and address, the subject’s license number if applicable, a brief factual statement, the sections of the law allegedly violated, and the penalty imposed. The citation must clearly state that the subject may choose, in lieu of accepting the citation, to follow the procedure under s. 456.073. If the subject disputes the matter in the citation, the procedures set forth in s. 456.073 must be followed. However, if the subject does not dispute the matter in the citation with the department within 30 days after the citation is served, the citation becomes a public final order and does not constitute discipline for a first offense, but does constitute discipline for a second or subsequent offense. The penalty shall be a fine or other conditions as established by rule.
(2) The board, or the department if there is no board, shall adopt rules designating violations for which a citation may be issued. Such rules shall designate as citation violations those violations for which there is no substantial threat to the public health, safety, and welfare or no violation of standard of care involving injury to a patient. Violations for which a citation may be issued shall include violations of continuing education requirements; failure to timely pay required fees and fines; failure to comply with the requirements of ss. 381.026 and 381.0261 regarding the dissemination of information regarding patient rights; failure to comply with advertising requirements; failure to timely update practitioner profile and credentialing files; failure to display signs, licenses, and permits; failure to have required reference books available; and all other violations that do not pose a direct and serious threat to the health and safety of the patient or involve a violation of standard of care that has resulted in injury to a patient.
(3) The department shall be entitled to recover the costs of investigation, in addition to any penalty provided according to board or department rule, as part of the penalty levied pursuant to the citation.
(4) A citation must be issued within 6 months after the filing of the complaint that is the basis for the citation.
(5) Service of a citation may be made by personal service or certified mail, restricted delivery, to the subject at the subject’s last known address.
(6) A board has 6 months in which to enact rules designating violations and penalties appropriate for citation offenses. Failure to enact such rules gives the department exclusive authority to adopt rules as required for implementing this section. A board has continuous authority to amend its rules adopted pursuant to this section.
History.—s. 67, ch. 97-261; s. 95, ch. 2000-160; s. 74, ch. 2001-277; s. 21, ch. 2003-416.
Note.—Former s. 455.617.