(1) Any dealer that sells tobacco products shall post a clear and conspicuous sign in each place of business where such products are sold which substantially states the following:
THE SALE OF TOBACCO PRODUCTS TO PERSONS UNDER THE AGE OF 18 IS AGAINST FLORIDA LAW. PROOF OF AGE IS REQUIRED FOR PURCHASE.
(2) The division shall make available to dealers of tobacco products signs that meet the requirements of subsection (1).
(3) Any dealer that sells tobacco products shall provide at the checkout counter in a location clearly visible to the dealer, the dealer’s agent or employee, instructional material in a calendar format or similar format to assist in determining whether a person is of legal age to purchase tobacco products. This point of sale material must contain substantially the following language:
IF YOU WERE NOT BORN BEFORE THIS DATE
(insert date and applicable year)
YOU CANNOT BUY TOBACCO PRODUCTS.
Upon approval by the division, in lieu of a calendar a dealer may use card readers, scanners, or other electronic or automated systems that can verify whether a person is of legal age to purchase tobacco products. Failure to comply with the provisions contained in this subsection shall result in imposition of administrative penalties as provided in s. 569.006.
(4) The division, through its agents and inspectors, shall enforce this section.
(5) Any person who fails to comply with subsection (1) is guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.