2013 Florida Statutes
390.011 Definitions.—As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) “Abortion” means the termination of human pregnancy with an intention other than to produce a live birth or to remove a dead fetus.
(2) “Abortion clinic” or “clinic” means any facility in which abortions are performed. The term does not include:
(a) A hospital; or
(b) A physician’s office, provided that the office is not used primarily for the performance of abortions.
(3) “Agency” means the Agency for Health Care Administration.
(4) “Born alive” means the complete expulsion or extraction from the mother of a human infant, at any stage of development, who, after such expulsion or extraction, breathes or has a beating heart, or definite and voluntary movement of muscles, regardless of whether the umbilical cord has been cut and regardless of whether the expulsion or extraction occurs as a result of natural or induced labor, caesarean section, induced abortion, or other method.
(5) “Department” means the Department of Health.
(6) “Hospital” means a facility as defined in s. 395.002(12) and licensed under chapter 395 and part II of chapter 408.
(7) “Partial-birth abortion” means a termination of pregnancy in which the physician performing the termination of pregnancy partially vaginally delivers a living fetus before killing the fetus and completing the delivery.
(8) “Physician” means a physician licensed under chapter 458 or chapter 459 or a physician practicing medicine or osteopathic medicine in the employment of the United States.
(9) “Third trimester” means the weeks of pregnancy after the 24th week of pregnancy.
History.—s. 1, ch. 78-382; s. 1, ch. 86-286; ss. 4, 5, ch. 88-97; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 4, ch. 97-151; s. 37, ch. 97-264; s. 3, ch. 98-1; s. 14, ch. 2007-230; s. 1, ch. 2013-121.