2018 Florida Statutes
448.101 Definitions.—As used in ss. 448.101-448.105, the term:
(1) “Appropriate governmental agency” means any agency of government charged with the enforcement of laws, rules, or regulations governing an activity, policy, or practice of an employer.
(2) “Employee” means a person who performs services for and under the control and direction of an employer for wages or other remuneration. The term does not include an independent contractor.
(3) “Employer” means any private individual, firm, partnership, institution, corporation, or association that employs ten or more persons.
(4) “Law, rule, or regulation” includes any statute or ordinance or any rule or regulation adopted pursuant to any federal, state, or local statute or ordinance applicable to the employer and pertaining to the business.
(5) “Retaliatory personnel action” means the discharge, suspension, or demotion by an employer of an employee or any other adverse employment action taken by an employer against an employee in the terms and conditions of employment.
(6) “Supervisor” means any individual within an employer’s organization who has the authority to direct and control the work performance of the affected employee or who has managerial authority to take corrective action regarding the violation of law, rule, or regulation of which the employee complains.
History.—s. 4, ch. 91-285.