CS/CS/HB 1391: Student Safety
GENERAL BILL by Judiciary Committee ; Education Committee ; Rodrigues ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Harrell
Student Safety; Prohibits certain conduct with students by authority figures; requires school districts to adopt certain standards of ethical conduct; require superintendent to report certain misconduct to law enforcement; requires district school superintendent to notify parents of certain information related allegations of misconduct by instructional personnel or school administrators; requires resignation or termination before investigation of certain misconduct is concluded to be indicated in personnel file; requires school district to file certain complaints with DOE; expands scope of provisions requiring disqualification of persons convicted of certain offenses to apply to all persons who are required to have contact with students.
Last Action: 3/10/2018 Senate - Died in Education
Bill Text: PDF
• Introduced -HJ 120
• Referred to Criminal Justice Subcommittee; Education Committee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 340
• On Committee agenda-- Criminal Justice Subcommittee, 01/24/18, 8:00 am, Sumner Hall
• Favorable by Criminal Justice Subcommittee; YEAS 10 NAYS 0 -HJ 441
• Now in Education Committee -HJ 441
• PCS on Committee agenda-- Education Committee, 02/07/18, 9:00 am, Reed Hall
• CS by Education Committee; YEAS 18 NAYS 0 -HJ 560
• Pending review of CS under Rule 7.18(c)
• CS by Education Committee read 1st time -HJ 558
• Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 562
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 02/15/18, 9:00 am, Sumner Hall --Temporarily Postponed
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 02/27/18, 1:30 pm, Sumner Hall
• CS/CS by- Judiciary Committee; YEAS 21 NAYS 0 -HJ 695
• Pending review of CS -under Rule 7.18(c)
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 694
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 03/02/18
• CS/CS by Judiciary Committee read 1st time -HJ 693
• Read 2nd time -HJ 779, 780
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 846
• CS passed; YEAS 107 NAYS 0 -HJ 846
• In Messages
• Referred to Education; Criminal Justice; Appropriations -SJ 881
• Received -SJ 881
• Indefinitely postponed and withdrawn from consideration
• Died in Education
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.