CS/SB 1580: Protections of Medical Conscience
Protections of Medical Conscience; Providing that health care providers and health care payors have the right to opt out of participation in or payment for certain health care services on the basis of conscience-based objections; providing requirements for a health care provider’s notice and documentation of such objection; providing whistle-blower protections for health care providers and health care payors that take certain actions or disclose certain information relating to the reporting of certain violations; prohibiting boards, or the Department of Health if there is no board, from taking disciplinary action against or denying a license to an individual based solely on specified conduct, etc.
• Referred to Health Policy; Rules
• On Committee agenda-- Health Policy, 04/04/23, 8:30 am, 412 Knott Building
• Favorable by Health Policy; YEAS 9 NAYS 3
• Now in Rules
• On Committee agenda-- Rules, 04/19/23, 8:30 am, 412 Knott Building
• CS by- Rules; YEAS 14 NAYS 5
• Pending reference review -under Rule 4.7(2) - (Committee Substitute)
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/27/23
• CS by Rules read 1st time
• Read 2nd time -SJ 564
• Amendment(s) failed (513000, 634746, 837090) -SJ 564
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -SJ 613
• CS passed; YEAS 28 NAYS 11 -SJ 613
• In Messages
• Bill referred to House Calendar
• Bill added to Special Order Calendar (5/1/2023)
• 1st Reading (Committee Substitute 1)
• Read 2nd time
• Amendment 623627 Failed
• Amendment 640239 Failed
• Amendment 784701 Failed
• Amendment 178097 Failed
• Amendment 813935 Failed
• Amendment 056009 Failed
• Amendment 012605 Failed
• Amendment 129827 Failed
• Amendment 457173 Failed
• Amendment 512377 Failed
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Added to Third Reading Calendar
• Read 3rd time
• CS passed; YEAS 84, NAYS 34
• Ordered enrolled
• Signed by Officers and presented to Governor
• Approved by Governor
• Chapter No. 2023-57
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.