CS/SB 494: Fees in Lieu of Security Deposits
GENERAL BILL by Judiciary ; DiCeglie ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Calatayud
Fees in Lieu of Security Deposits; Authorizing a landlord to offer a tenant the option to pay a fee in lieu of a security deposit; requiring the landlord to notify the tenant of certain unpaid fees and costs within a specified time after the conclusion of the tenancy; requiring a written agreement signed by the landlord, or the landlord’s agent, and the tenant if the tenant decides to pay a fee in lieu of the security deposit; specifying that certain fees, insurance products, and surety bonds are not security deposits; prohibiting a landlord from approving or denying an application for occupancy based on a prospective tenant’s choice to pay a fee in lieu of a security deposit, etc.
Last Action: 4/28/2023 Senate - Laid on Table, refer to CS/HB 133 -SJ 615
Bill Text: Web Page | PDF
- Judiciary (JU)
- Community Affairs (CA)
- Rules (RC)
• Referred to Judiciary; Community Affairs; Rules
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary, 03/07/23, 2:00 pm, 412 Knott Building
• CS by Judiciary; YEAS 7 NAYS 3
• Pending reference review under Rule 4.7(2) - (Committee Substitute)
• Now in Community Affairs
• CS by Judiciary read 1st time -SJ 140
• On Committee agenda-- Community Affairs, 03/22/23, 11:00 am, 401 Senate Building
• Favorable by Community Affairs; YEAS 8 NAYS 1
• Now in Rules
• On Committee agenda-- Rules, 04/19/23, 8:30 am, 412 Knott Building
• Favorable by- Rules; YEAS 14 NAYS 5
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/28/23
• Read 2nd time -SJ 615
• Substituted CS/HB 133 -SJ 615
• Laid on Table, refer to CS/HB 133 -SJ 615
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.