CS/HB 5203 — Reemployment Services
by Appropriations Committee; Higher Education Appropriations Subcommittee and Rep. O'Toole (SB 1992 by Budget Committee)
This summary is provided for information only and does not represent the opinion of any Senator, Senate Officer, or Senate Office.
Prepared by: Budget Committee (BC)
- Repeals and terminates the Workers’ Compensation Administration Trust Fund within the Department of Education.
Amends s. 440.491, F.S., as follows.
- Removes the Department of Education from the definition of "Department", which transfers responsibilities for training and education of injured workers to the Department of Financial Services;
- Authorizes the Department of Financial Services to contract with one or more third parties to administer functions of training and education.
- Requires that persons or firms selected to administer reemployment services may not have a conflict of interest.
- Prohibits a rehabilitation provider who contracts with the department to provide injured employees reemployment assessments and other services from providing training or education to the injured employee.
- Appropriates $350,000 in recurring funds from the Workers' Compensation Administration Trust Fund and 5 full-time positions and associated salary rate of 260,000 to the Department of Financial Services.
- Provides an effective date.
If approved by the Governor, these provisions take effect July 1, 2012.
Vote: Senate 36-1; House 118-0