SB 1960 — State Judicial System
by Budget Committee
This summary is provided for information only and does not represent the opinion of any Senator, Senate Officer, or Senate Office.
Prepared by: Budget Committee (BC)
This bill makes the following changes:
- Amends statutes to refine the qualifications of the Regional Conflict Counsel and provide for a more efficient Regional Counsel selection and appointment process.
- Makes real property record and motor vehicle record searches optional when clerks review applications of persons applying for indigency status.
- Permits a judicial circuit to create a limited registry of court-appointed attorneys willing to waive compensation above the flat fees to handle conflict cases.
- Requires the state court system to pay court-appointed attorney fees ordered by the court above the flat fees established in law, once the funds appropriated for that purpose have been spent.
- Allows guardian ad litem volunteers to transport clients.
- Allows for the supervision and oversight of county funded employees by the guardian ad litem program.
- Requires the Clerk of Court Operations Corporation to collect and submit to the Legislature a quarterly report from the clerks of court on a local surcharge on traffic infractions.
If approved by the Governor, these provisions take effect July 1, 2012.
Vote: Senate 40-0; House 115-0