As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) “Brand name” means any word, name, symbol, or device, or combination thereof, identifying the commercial feed of a distributor and distinguishing it from the commercial feed of others.
(2) “Commercial feed” means all materials or combinations of materials that are distributed or intended to be distributed for use as feed or for mixing in a feed for animals other than humans, except:
(a) Unmixed whole seeds, including physically altered entire unmixed seeds, when such seeds are not chemically changed or are not adulterated within the meaning of s. 580.071.
(b) Unground hay, straw, stover, silage, cobs, husks, and hulls, and individual chemical compounds or substances, when such commodities, compounds, or substances are unmixed with other substances and are not adulterated within the meaning of s. 580.071.
(c) Feed mixed by the consumer for the consumer’s own use made entirely or in part from products raised on the consumer’s farm, except as is provided by rules of the department.
(3) “Consumer” or “customer” means the person who purchases or receives commercial feed or feedstuff for feeding to animals.
(4) “Cooperative” means any corporation organized under the provisions of chapter 618 or chapter 619 for the mutual benefit of its members who are producers of milk, and which sells, distributes, or provides feed for dairy cows or feed ingredients for such feed only to its members.
(5) “Customer-formula feed” means a commercial feed consisting of a mixture of commercial feeds or feed ingredients, each batch of which is manufactured according to the specific instructions of the final customer, is distributed only to that customer, and is not redistributed.
(6) “Department” means the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
(7) “Distribute” means to offer for sale, sell, barter, or exchange commercial feed or feedstuff or to supply, furnish, or otherwise provide commercial feed or feedstuff for use by any consumer or customer in the state.
(8) “Distributor” means any person who distributes commercial feed or feedstuff. It does not include persons who sell brand name feed at retail on behalf of a registrant who manufactures such feed.
(9) “Drug” means any article intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease in animals other than humans and articles other than feed intended to affect the structure or any function of the animal body.
(10) “Feedstuff” means edible materials, other than commercial feed, which are distributed for animal consumption and which contribute energy or nutrients, or both, to an animal diet. The term includes ingredients as defined in this section.
(11) “Good management practices” means procedures for manufacture, distribution, transportation, sampling, inspection, and analysis of feed which are designed to prevent contamination of the feed by toxins, drugs, bacteria, or other harmful substances.
(12) “Hazard-analysis critical-control-point program” means the identification of points in the manufacture, distribution, transportation, sampling, inspection, and analysis of feed at which there is a risk of contamination that could be harmful to humans and other animals and the identification of methods of preventing contamination at these points.
(13) “Ingredient” means each of the constituent materials used to make a commercial feed.
(14) “Integrated poultry operation” means a business enterprise that owns all stages of poultry production and manufactures and distributes commercial feed or feedstuff for consumption by animals owned by the business enterprise. An integrated poultry operation does not sell feed commercially.
(15) “Label” means a display of written, printed, or graphic matter upon or affixed to the container in which a product is distributed, or on the invoice accompanying the product.
(16) “Labeling” means all labels and other written, printed, or graphic matter upon an article or any of its containers or wrappers, or accompanying commercial feed or feedstuff.
(17) “Manufacture” means the grinding, mixing, or blending, or further processing, of a commercial feed for distribution.
(18) “Medicated feed” means a commercial feed or customer-formula feed that contains a drug.
(19) “Member of a cooperative” means, in the case of a stock association, the owner of at least one share of voting stock, and, in the case of a nonstock association, a person who has been issued a membership certificate upon the payment of a membership fee of at least $1,000, or who has an outstanding obligation of not less than $1,000 owed to the member by the cooperative in accordance with the bylaws of the cooperative, and who is entitled to voting powers within the cooperative.
(20) “Percent” or “percentage” means percentage by weight.
(21) “Product name” means the name of the commercial feed which identifies it as to kind, class, or specific use.
(22) “Quality-assurance/quality-control plan” means a system of activities designed to provide assurance that the commercial feed or feedstuff meets defined standards of quality and to provide control of the quality of the commercial feed or feedstuff.
(23) “Registrant” means any person issued a master registration by the department.
(24) “Ton” means a net weight of 2,000 pounds avoirdupois.
Except as provided by law or rule, all terms used in connection with commercial feed or feedstuff have the meanings ascribed to them by the Association of American Feed Control Officials.