(1) The division shall establish by rule:
(a) A Minimum Standards Course and course examination to provide the training required to obtain a Firefighter Certificate of Compliance.
(b) Courses and course examinations to provide training required to obtain a Volunteer Firefighter Certificate of Completion or a Special Certificate of Compliance.
(c) Courses to provide continuing training for firefighters and volunteer firefighters.
(2) Courses under subsection (1) may only be administered by education or training providers approved by the division pursuant to s. 633.128(1)(c) and taught by instructors certified pursuant to s. 633.128(1)(d).
(3)(a) Nothing herein shall require a fire service provider to pay the cost of such training.
(b) A fire service provider may pay part or all of the costs of tuition for attendance at approved courses.
(4) The division shall issue a firefighter certificate of compliance to an individual who does all of the following: (a) Satisfactorily completes the Minimum Standards Course 1or has satisfactorily completed training for firefighters in another state which has been determined by the division to be at least the equivalent of the training required for the Minimum Standards Course.
(b) Passes the Minimum Standards Course examination.
(c) Possesses the qualifications in s. 633.412.
(5) The division shall issue a Volunteer Firefighter Certificate of Completion to any individual who satisfactorily completes the course established under paragraph (1)(b).
(6)(a) The division may issue a Special Certificate of Compliance to an individual who does all of the following:
1. Satisfactorily completes the course established in paragraph (1)(b) to obtain a Special Certificate of Compliance.
2. Passes the examination established in paragraph (1)(b) to obtain a Special Certificate of Compliance.
3. Possesses the qualifications in s. 633.412.
(b) A Special Certificate of Compliance only authorizes an individual to serve as an administrative and command head of a fire service provider.
(7) An individual who fails an examination given under this section may retake the examination once within 6 months after the original examination date. If the individual does not retake the examination or fails the reexamination within such time, the individual must take the Minimum Standards Course for a Firefighter Certificate of Compliance or the course established under paragraph (1)(b) for a Special Certificate of Compliance before being reexamined. The division may grant an extension of the 6-month period based upon documented medical necessity and may establish reasonable preregistration deadlines for reexaminations.
(8) Pursuant to s. 590.02(1)(e), the division shall establish a structural fire training program of not less than 206 hours. The division shall issue to a person satisfactorily complying with this training program and who has successfully passed an examination as prescribed by the division and who has met the requirements of s. 590.02(1)(e), a Forestry Certificate of Compliance.
An individual who holds a current and valid Forestry Certificate of Compliance is entitled to the same rights, privileges, and benefits provided for by law as a firefighter.