2015 Florida Statutes
Farm labor vehicles.
Farm labor vehicles.
316.622 Farm labor vehicles.—
(1) Each owner or operator of a farm labor vehicle that is operated on the public highways of this state shall ensure that such vehicle conforms to vehicle safety standards prescribed by the Secretary of Labor under s. 401(b) of the Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Worker Protection Act, 29 U.S.C. s. 1841(b), and other applicable federal and state safety standards.
(2) On or after January 1, 2008, a farm labor vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less must be equipped at each passenger position with a seat belt assembly that meets the requirements established under Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 208, 49 C.F.R. s. 571.208.
(3) A farm labor contractor may not transport migrant or seasonal farm workers in a farm labor vehicle unless the display sticker described in s. 450.33 is clearly displayed on the vehicle.
(4) The owner or operator of a farm labor vehicle must prominently display in the vehicle standardized notification instructions requiring passengers to fasten their seat belts. The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shall create standard notification instructions.
(5) Failure of any migrant or seasonal farm worker to use a seat belt provided by the owner of a farm labor vehicle under this section does not constitute negligence per se, and such failure may not be used as prima facie evidence of negligence or be considered in mitigation of damages, but such failure may be considered as evidence of comparative negligence in a civil action.
(6) Failure of any owner or operator of a farm labor vehicle to require that all passengers be restrained by a safety belt when the vehicle is in motion may not be considered as evidence of negligence in any civil action, if such vehicle is otherwise in compliance with this section.
(7) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as provided in s. 318.18(16).
(8) The department shall provide to the Department of Business and Professional Regulation each quarter a copy of each accident report involving a farm labor vehicle, as defined in s. 316.003(62), commencing with the first quarter of the 2006-2007 fiscal year.
History.—s. 3, ch. 2006-81.