(1) The purpose of this section is to improve patient care by minimizing confusion, eliminating unnecessary work, decreasing patient wait time, and improving business efficiencies.
(2) Any health insurer or health maintenance organization and all state and local government entities entering into an agreement to provide coverage for prescription drugs on an outpatient basis shall provide a benefits-identification card containing the following information:
(a) The name of the claim processor.
(b) The electronic-claims payor identification number or the issuer identification number, also referred to as the Banking Identification Number or “BIN,” assigned by the American National Standards Institute.
(c) The insured’s prescription group number.
(d) The insured’s identification number.
(e) The insured’s name.
(f) The claims submission name and address.
(g) The help desk telephone number.
(h) Any other information that the entity finds will assist in the processing of the claim.
The information required in paragraphs (a), (b), (g), and (h) must be provided on the card, unless instruction is provided on the card for ready access to such information by electronic means.
(3) The benefits-identification card must present the information in a manner readily identifiable or, alternatively, the information may be embedded in the card and available through magnetic stripe or smart card. The information may also be provided through other electronic technology.
(4) Any entity providing a health-benefits-identification card containing all of the information required by this section shall not be required to provide a separate identification card for prescription drug benefits.
(5) A benefits-identification card required under subsection (2) shall be issued no later than 60 days after any change in the information contained on the card becomes effective. An entity may issue a temporary sticker containing the new information in lieu of issuing a new card prior to the annual renewal date. Such sticker must be designed so that it can be attached to the existing card.