2018 Florida Statutes
Cost accounting and reporting for school districts.
(2) COST REPORTING.—
(a) Each district shall report on a district-aggregate basis expenditures for inservice training pursuant to s. 1011.62(3) and for categorical programs as provided in s. 1011.62(6).
(b) Each district shall report to the department on a school-by-school and on an aggregate district basis expenditures for:
1. Each program funded in s. 1011.62(1)(c).
2. Total operating costs as reported pursuant to s. 1010.215.
3. Expenditures for classroom instruction pursuant to the calculation in s. 1010.215(4)(b)1. and 2.
(c) The department shall:
1. Categorize all public schools and districts into appropriate groups based primarily on average full-time equivalent student enrollment as reported on the most recent student membership survey under s. 1011.62 and in state board rule to determine groups of peer schools and districts.
2. Annually calculate for each public school, district, and for the entire state, the percentage of classroom expenditures to total operating expenditures reported in subparagraphs (b)2. and 3. The results shall be categorized pursuant to this paragraph.
3. Annually calculate for all public schools, districts, and the state, the average percentage of classroom expenditures to total operating expenditures reported in subparagraphs (b)2. and 3. The results shall be categorized pursuant to this paragraph.
4. Develop a web-based fiscal transparency tool that identifies public schools and districts that produce high academic achievement based on the ratio of classroom instruction expenditures to total expenditures. The fiscal transparency tool shall combine the data calculated pursuant to this paragraph with the student performance measurements calculated pursuant to s. 1012.34(7) to determine the financial efficiency of each public school and district. The results shall be displayed in an easy to use format that enables the user to compare performance among public schools and districts.
(d) The Commissioner of Education shall present to the Legislature, prior to the opening of the regular session each year, a district-by-district report of the expenditures reported pursuant to paragraphs (a) and (b). The report shall include total expenditures, a detailed analysis showing expenditures for each program, and such other data as may be useful for management of the education system. The Commissioner of Education shall also compute cost factors relative to the base student allocation for each funded program in s. 1011.62(1)(c).