CS/CS/SB 1718: Parent Empowerment in Education
GENERAL BILL by Budget ; Education Pre-K - 12 ; Benacquisto ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Flores ; Altman ; Gaetz ; Hays
Parent Empowerment in Education; Authorizing parents of students who are assigned to certain underperforming public schools to submit a petition to the school district requesting implementation of a school turnaround option; requiring a school district, upon request, to provide a parent with a performance evaluation for each classroom teacher assigned to his or her child; prohibiting a charter school operator from being a foreign national principal, from having officers or partners who are not citizens of the United States and who are not lawfully admitted for permanent residence, or from being registered in a foreign country; creating the Parent Empowerment Act, etc.
Last Action: 3/9/2012 Senate - CS failed to pass; YEAS 20 NAYS 20 -SJ 1189
Location: Failed passage
Bill Text: Web Page | PDF
- Education Pre-K - 12 (ED)
- Budget Subcommittee on Education Pre-K - 12 Appropriations (BEA)
- Budget (BC)
• Referred to Education Pre-K - 12; Budget -SJ 229
• Introduced -SJ 229
• On Committee agenda-- Education Pre-K - 12, 01/24/12, 3:30 pm, 301 Senate Office Building
• CS by Education Pre-K - 12; YEAS 5 NAYS 0 -SJ 280
• Pending reference review under Rule 4.7(2) - (Committee Substitute)
• Now in Budget -SJ 280
• Subreferred to Budget Subcommittee on Education Pre-K - 12 Appropriations -SJ 282
• Now in Budget Subcommittee on Education Pre-K - 12 Appropriations
• CS by Education Pre-K - 12 read 1st time -SJ 291
• On Committee agenda-- Budget Subcommittee on Education Pre-K - 12 Appropriations, 02/28/12, 10:45 am, 412 Knott Building
• Favorable with 1 amendment(s) by Budget Subcommittee on Education Pre-K - 12 Appropriations (519440); YEAS 4 NAYS 3 -SJ 743
• Now in Budget -SJ 743
• On Committee agenda-- Budget, 03/03/12, 8:00 am, 412 Knott Building
• CS/CS by- Budget; YEAS 13 NAYS 7 -SJ 805
• Pending reference review -under Rule 4.7(2) - (Committee Substitute)
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading -SJ 805
• CS/CS by Budget read 1st time -SJ 809
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 03/08/12
• Read 2nd time -SJ 1129
• Amendment(s) adopted (404694, 415328, 561460, 679266, 938018, 965320) -SJ 1130
• Amendment(s) failed (404564, 419936, 475000, 628308, 958994) -SJ 1131
• Ordered engrossed -SJ 1134
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -SJ 1189
• CS failed to pass; YEAS 20 NAYS 20 -SJ 1189
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.