CS/HB 851: Animal Cruelty
GENERAL BILL by Criminal Justice Subcommittee ; Moskowitz ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Dudley ; Edwards ; Gaetz ; Harrell ; Metz ; O'Toole ; Patronis ; Pilon ; Stewart ; Torres
Animal Cruelty; Specifies that person who commits multiple acts of animal cruelty against one animal or acts of animal cruelty against multiple animals may be charged with separate offense for each such act of animal cruelty; specifies that person who owns or has custody or control of any animal & fails to act commits aggravated animal cruelty if certain injuries or death result; prohibits specific acts relating to dyeing or artificially coloring certain animals; prohibit selling, offering for sale, or giving away as merchandising premiums specified fowl or rabbits to be used as pets, toys, or retail premiums; provides exceptions; including illegal animal fighting or baiting as offense within definition of "racketeering activity" for purposes of Florida RICO Act.
Last Action: 7/1/2013 - Chapter No. 2013-245
Location: Became Law
Bill Text: PDF
• Referred to Criminal Justice Subcommittee; Justice Appropriations Subcommittee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 86
• Introduced -HJ 86
• On Committee agenda-- Criminal Justice Subcommittee, 03/12/13, 10:00 am, 404 HOB
• CS by Criminal Justice Subcommittee; YEAS 12 NAYS 0 -HJ 243
• Pending review of CS under Rule 7.19(c)
• CS by Criminal Justice Subcommittee read 1st time -HJ 240
• Now in Justice Appropriations Subcommittee -HJ 270
• On Committee agenda-- Justice Appropriations Subcommittee, 03/28/13, 8:00 am, Morris Hall
• Favorable by Justice Appropriations Subcommittee; YEAS 12 NAYS 0 -HJ 373
• Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 373
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 04/03/13, 8:30 am, 404 HOB
• Favorable by- Judiciary Committee; YEAS 17 NAYS 0 -HJ 414
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 415
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/17/13
• Read 2nd time -HJ 625
• Amendment(s) adopted (624529) -HJ 625
• Read 3rd time -HJ 625
• CS passed as amended; YEAS 118 NAYS 0 -HJ 625
• In Messages
• Referred to Agriculture; Criminal Justice -SJ 510
• Received -SJ 510
• Withdrawn from Agriculture; Criminal Justice -SJ 611
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading -SJ 611
• Substituted for CS/CS/SB 504 -SJ 611
• Read 2nd time -SJ 611
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -SJ 693
• CS passed; YEAS 35 NAYS 0 -SJ 693
• Ordered enrolled -HJ 967
• Signed by Officers and presented to Governor
• Approved by Governor
• Chapter No. 2013-245
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.