SB 386: Application of Foreign Law in Courts
GENERAL BILL by Hays
Application of Foreign Law in Courts; Defining the term “strong public policy”; prohibiting a court from enforcing certain choice of law or forum selection contractual provisions; requiring a court to review judgments and orders of foreign courts for comity before enforcing such orders or judgments; specifying judgments and orders of foreign courts that are not entitled to comity; providing that the attempt to apply the law of a foreign country is void under certain circumstances; prohibiting a trial court from dismissing an action on the grounds that a satisfactory remedy may be more conveniently sought in a foreign country; providing an exception, etc.
Last Action: 5/14/2014 - Chapter No. 2014-10
Location: Became Law
Bill Text: Web Page | PDF
- Judiciary (JU)
- Governmental Oversight and Accountability (GO)
- Rules (RC)
• Referred to Judiciary; Governmental Oversight and Accountability; Rules -SJ 37
• Introduced -SJ 36
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary, 03/25/14, 9:00 am, 110 Senate Office Building
• Favorable by Judiciary; YEAS 6 NAYS 3 -SJ 335
• Now in Governmental Oversight and Accountability -SJ 335
• On Committee agenda-- Governmental Oversight and Accountability, 04/03/14, 9:00 am, 412 Knott Building
• Favorable by Governmental Oversight and Accountability; YEAS 6 NAYS 2
• Now in Rules -SJ 442
• On Committee agenda-- Rules, 04/09/14, 4:00 pm, 110 Senate Office Building
• Favorable by- Rules; YEAS 7 NAYS 6 -SJ 459
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading -SJ 459
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/25/14
• Read 2nd time -SJ 690
• Amendment(s) adopted (759664) -SJ 690
• Ordered engrossed -SJ 690
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -SJ 722
• Amendment(s) adopted (502398) -SJ 722
• Passed as amended; YEAS 24 NAYS 14 -SJ 723
• In Messages
• Referred to Calendar -HJ 826
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/29/14
• Received -HJ 826
• Read 2nd time -HJ 852
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 890
• Passed; YEAS 78 NAYS 40 -HJ 890
• Ordered enrolled -SJ 880
• Signed by Officers and presented to Governor
• Approved by Governor
• Chapter No. 2014-10
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.