CS/HB 7035: Juvenile Sentencing
GENERAL BILL by Judiciary Committee ; Criminal Justice Subcommittee ; Grant ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Berman ; Campbell
Juvenile Sentencing; Provides criminal penalties applicable for certain serious felonies by juveniles; requires judge to consider specified factors before determining if life imprisonment is appropriate; provides review of sentences for specified offenders; provides for proceedings for determining if life imprisonment is appropriate for offender convicted of certain offenses; provides sentence review proceedings after specified period by original sentencing court for certain offenders; provides for subsequent reviews; requires DOC to notify offender of eligibility for sentence review; entitles offender to counsel; provides factors to be considered in sentence review; requires court to modify sentence if certain factors found; requires court to impose probation if sentence modified; requires written findings if court declines to modify sentence.
• Referred to Justice Appropriations Subcommittee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 124
• Introduced -HJ 124
• On Committee agenda-- Justice Appropriations Subcommittee, 03/11/14, 9:30 am, Morris Hall
• Favorable by Justice Appropriations Subcommittee; YEAS 11 NAYS 2 -HJ 252
• Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 252
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 03/21/14, 9:00 am, Sumner Hall
• CS by- Judiciary Committee; YEAS 15 NAYS 0 -HJ 339
• Pending review of CS -under Rule 7.19(c)
• CS by Judiciary Committee read 1st time -HJ 335
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 387
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/01/14
• Read 2nd time -HJ 415
• Amendment(s) adopted (712565) -HJ 417
• Read 3rd time -HJ 417
• CS passed as amended; YEAS 117 NAYS 0 -HJ 417
• In Messages
• Referred to Criminal Justice; Judiciary; Appropriations Subcommittee on Criminal and Civil Justice; Appropriations -SJ 454
• Received -SJ 454
• Withdrawn from Criminal Justice; Judiciary; Appropriations Subcommittee on Criminal and Civil Justice; Appropriations -SJ 496
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading -SJ 496
• Substituted for CS/SB 384 -SJ 496
• Read 2nd time -SJ 496
• Amendment(s) adopted (978768) -SJ 496
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -SJ 574
• Amendment(s) reconsidered, adopted (841792) -SJ 575
• CS passed as amended; YEAS 36 NAYS 0 -SJ 577
• In returning messages
• Was taken up -HJ 1008
• Concurred in 1 amendment(s) (841792)
• CS passed as amended; YEAS 115 NAYS 0 -HJ 1010
• Ordered engrossed, then enrolled -HJ 1010
• Signed by Officers and presented to Governor
• Approved by Governor
• Chapter No. 2014-220
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.