CS/HB 265: Computer Coding Instruction
GENERAL BILL by PreK-12 Quality Subcommittee ; Porter ; Williams ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Albritton ; Antone ; Caldwell ; Clemons ; Combee ; Davis ; Donalds ; Fischer ; Geller ; Grant, J. ; Gruters ; Harrell ; Jenne ; Jones ; Massullo ; Plasencia ; Ponder ; Russell ; Santiago ; Silvers ; Slosberg
Computer Coding Instruction; Requires Articulation Coordinating Committee to develop & submit recommendations relating to computer science instruction to BOG, SBE, & Legislature; requires Commissioner of Education to include certain courses relating to computer science in Course Code Directory; requires student notification under certain circumstances; requires DOE to annually report to BOG & Legislature; requires SBE to develop strategies relating to computer science educator certification & teacher recruitment.
Last Action: 5/5/2017 Senate - Died in Rules
Bill Text: PDF
- Rules (RC)
• Referred to PreK-12 Quality Subcommittee; PreK-12 Appropriations Subcommittee; Education Committee -HJ 48
• Introduced -HJ 48
• PCS on Committee agenda-- PreK-12 Quality Subcommittee, 03/27/17, 12:30 pm, Reed Hall
• CS by PreK-12 Quality Subcommittee; YEAS 14 NAYS 0 -HJ 465
• Pending review of CS under Rule 7.18(c)
• CS by PreK-12 Quality Subcommittee read 1st time -HJ 461
• Original reference(s) removed: PreK-12 Appropriations Subcommittee
• CS referred to Education Committee -HJ 488
• Now in Education Committee -HJ 488
• On Committee agenda-- Education Committee, 04/24/17, 2:00 pm, Reed Hall
• Favorable by- Education Committee; YEAS 17 NAYS 0 -HJ 806
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 806
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/28/17
• Read 2nd time -HJ 984
• Amendment(s) adopted (784765) -HJ 984
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 1030
• Amendment(s) adopted (943285) -HJ 1030
• CS passed as amended; YEAS 117 NAYS 0 -HJ 1030
• In Messages
• Referred to Rules -SJ 680
• Received -SJ 680
• Indefinitely postponed and withdrawn from consideration
• Died in Rules
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.