CS/HB 495: K-12 Public Education
GENERAL BILL by Education Committee ; Diaz, M. ; Bileca
K-12 Public Education; Revising limitations on the maximum length of participation in the Deferred Retirement Option Program for certain instructional personnel and administrative personnel; providing requirements for specified instruction relating to computer science; prohibiting certain conduct with students by authority figures; requiring school districts to adopt certain standards of ethical conduct; expanding the scope of provisions requiring the disqualification of persons convicted of certain offenses to apply to all persons who are required to have contact with students; requiring a school district to file certain complaints with the Department of Education even if the subject of the complaint is no longer employed by the district, etc.
Last Action: 3/9/2018 House - Ordered engrossed, then enrolled -HJ 1125
Bill Text: PDF
• Referred to PreK-12 Quality Subcommittee; Appropriations Committee; Education Committee -HJ 44
• On Committee agenda-- PreK-12 Quality Subcommittee, 01/10/18, 1:00 pm, Reed Hall
• Introduced -HJ 44
• Favorable by PreK-12 Quality Subcommittee; YEAS 15 NAYS 0 -HJ 312
• Now in Appropriations Committee -HJ 312
• On Committee agenda-- Appropriations Committee, 02/14/18, 9:00 am, Webster Hall
• Favorable by Appropriations Committee; YEAS 25 NAYS 0 -HJ 595
• Now in Education Committee -HJ 595
• PCS on Committee agenda-- Education Committee, 02/27/18, 1:30 pm, Reed Hall
• CS by- Education Committee; YEAS 18 NAYS 0 -HJ 694
• Pending review of CS -under Rule 7.18(c)
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 694
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 03/02/18
• CS by Education Committee read 1st time -HJ 686, 687
• Read 2nd time -HJ 809
• Amendment(s) adopted (413389, 603215) -HJ 809, 811
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 864
• CS passed as amended; YEAS 105 NAYS 6 -HJ 864, 865
• In Messages
• Referred to Education; Appropriations Subcommittee on Pre-K - 12 Education; Appropriations -SJ 773, 774
• Received -SJ 809
• Withdrawn from Education; Appropriations Subcommittee on Pre-K - 12 Education; Appropriations -SJ 789
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading -SJ 825
• Substituted for CS/CS/SB 1056 -SJ 789
• Read 2nd time -SJ 789
• Amendment(s) adopted (802062) -SJ 825, 834
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -SJ 927, 931
• Amendment(s) reconsidered, adopted as amended (236354) -SJ 927, 932
• CS passed as amended; YEAS 36 NAYS 0 -SJ 932
• In returning messages
• Concurred in 1 amendment(s) (236354) -HJ 1118, 1125
• CS passed as amended; YEAS 107 NAYS 1 -HJ 1125
• Ordered engrossed, then enrolled -HJ 1125
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.