CS/SB 142: Negligence
GENERAL BILL by Commerce and Tourism ; Richter ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Gaetz ; Hays
Negligence; Defines the terms "accident," "negligence action," and "products liability action." Requires the trier of fact to consider the fault of all persons who contributed to an accident when apportioning damages in a products liability action alleging an enhanced injury. Requires the jury instructions to apportion certain fault in a products liability action. Provides legislative intent to overrule a judicial opinion. Provides a legislative finding that fault should be apportioned among all responsible persons in a products liability action, etc.
Last Action: 6/24/2011 - Chapter No. 2011-215
Location: Became Law
Bill Text: Web Page | PDF
- Judiciary (JU)
- Commerce and Tourism (CM)
- Budget (BC)
• Referred to Judiciary; Commerce and Tourism; Budget -SJ 21
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary, 01/11/11, 1:45 pm, 110 Senate Office Building
• Favorable with 1 amendment(s) by Judiciary (156664); YEAS 5 NAYS 1 -SJ 117
• Pending reference review under Rule 4.7(2) - (Amendments)
• Now in Commerce and Tourism -SJ 117
• On Committee agenda-- Commerce and Tourism, 02/07/11, 10:15 am, 401 Senate Office Building
• CS by Commerce and Tourism; YEAS 6 NAYS 1 -SJ 118
• Pending reference review under Rule 4.7(2) - (Committee Substitute)
• Now in Budget -SJ 118
• On Committee agenda-- Budget, 02/23/11, 9:00 am, 412 Knott Building
• Favorable by- Budget; YEAS 15 NAYS 5 -SJ 118
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading -SJ 118
• Introduced -SJ 21
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 03/10/11
• CS by Commerce and Tourism read 1st time -SJ 109
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 03/15/11
• Read 2nd time -SJ 223
• Amendment(s) adopted (506090, 832304) -SJ 223
• Ordered engrossed -SJ 223
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -SJ 231
• CS passed as amended; YEAS 28 NAYS 12 -SJ 231
• In Messages
• Referred to Calendar -HJ 1006
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 05/03/11
• Received -HJ 1006
• Read 2nd time -HJ 1033
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 1112
• CS passed; YEAS 80 NAYS 35 -HJ 1112
• Ordered enrolled -SJ 851
• Signed by Officers and presented to Governor
• Approved by Governor
• Chapter No. 2011-215
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.