SB 1792: Medical Negligence Actions
GENERAL BILL by Judiciary
Medical Negligence Actions; Authorizing a health care practitioner or provider who reasonably expects to be deposed, to be called as a witness, or to receive discovery requests to consult with an attorney on certain matters; authorizing the disclosure of patient information in connection with litigation under certain circumstances; authorizing a medical liability insurer to recommend an attorney to a health care practitioner or provider under certain circumstances; providing that a prospective defendant may conduct an interview with a claimant’s treating health care provider as a tool of informal discovery, etc.
Last Action: 6/5/2013 - Chapter No. 2013-108
Location: Became Law
Bill Text: Web Page | PDF
- Rules (RC)
• SPB 7030 submitted as a committee bill (SB 1792) by Judiciary
• Referred to Rules -SJ 242
• Introduced -SJ 242
• On Committee agenda-- Rules, 04/02/13, 8:00 am, 110 Senate Office Building
• Favorable by- Rules; YEAS 12 NAYS 3 -SJ 278
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading -SJ 278
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/10/13
• Read 2nd time -SJ 396
• Amendment(s) adopted (188446, 683406, 688034) -SJ 396
• Amendment(s) failed (386448) -SJ 396
• Ordered engrossed -SJ 396
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -SJ 409
• Passed as amended; YEAS 27 NAYS 12 -SJ 409
• In Messages
• Referred to Calendar -HJ 921
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/29/13
• Received -HJ 921
• Temporarily postponed, on 2nd Reading -HJ 962
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/30/13
• Read 2nd time -HJ 1027
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 1048
• Passed; YEAS 77 NAYS 38 -HJ 1048
• Ordered enrolled -SJ 986
• Signed by Officers and presented to Governor
• Approved by Governor
• Chapter No. 2013-108
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.