CS/HB 353: Juvenile Justice
GENERAL BILL by Criminal Justice Subcommittee ; Harrell ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Edwards ; Pilon
Juvenile Justice; Provides criminal penalties for specified employees who inflict cruel or inhuman treatment upon juvenile offenders; provides enhanced penalties for such treatment that results in great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement; specifies that such conduct constitutes sufficient cause for employee's dismissal & prohibits such employee from future employment with juvenile justice system; provides incident reporting requirements; prohibits employee who witnesses such an incident from knowingly or willfully failing to report; prohibits false reporting, preventing another from reporting, or coercing another to alter testimony or reports; defines "juvenile offender" for purposes of prohibiting sexual misconduct with juvenile offenders.
Last Action: 5/3/2013 Senate - Died in Criminal Justice
Bill Text: PDF
- Criminal Justice (CJ)
- Judiciary (JU)
- Appropriations Subcommittee on Criminal and Civil Justice (ACJ)
- Appropriations (AP)
• Referred to Criminal Justice Subcommittee; Justice Appropriations Subcommittee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 47
• On Committee agenda-- Criminal Justice Subcommittee, 02/12/13, 9:00 am, 404 HOB
• CS by Criminal Justice Subcommittee; YEAS 11 NAYS 0 -HJ 155
• Pending review of CS under Rule 7.19(c)
• Now in Justice Appropriations Subcommittee -HJ 152
• Introduced -HJ 47
• CS by Criminal Justice Subcommittee read 1st time -HJ 148
• On Committee agenda-- Justice Appropriations Subcommittee, 03/13/13, 9:00 am, Morris Hall
• Favorable by Justice Appropriations Subcommittee; YEAS 10 NAYS 0 -HJ 242
• Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 242
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 03/20/13, 8:00 am, 404 HOB
• Favorable by- Judiciary Committee; YEAS 18 NAYS 0 -HJ 286
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 286
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/11/13
• Read 2nd time -HJ 516
• Amendment(s) adopted (280685, 392831) -HJ 516
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 593
• CS passed as amended; YEAS 115 NAYS 0 -HJ 593
• In Messages
• Referred to Criminal Justice; Judiciary; Appropriations Subcommittee on Criminal and Civil Justice; Appropriations -SJ 508
• Received -SJ 508
• Died in Criminal Justice
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.