The Senate has convened, unilaterally, in Special Session for the sole purpose of consideration of Executive Order 19-14.
CS/SB 4: Higher Education
GENERAL BILL by Appropriations ; Galvano ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Perry ; Young ; Bradley ; Stewart ; Stargel ; Simpson ; Steube ; Passidomo ; Bean ; Baxley ; Hukill ; Benacquisto ; Mayfield
Higher Education; Citing this act as the "Florida Excellence in Higher Education Act of 2018"; revising the preeminent state research universities program graduation rate requirements and funding distributions; authorizing a public institution of higher education to create and enforce certain restrictions relating to expressive activities on campus; providing for the future repeal of provisions relating to the University of South Florida St. Petersburg and Sarasota/Manatee, respectively; establishing the World Class Faculty and Scholar Program; establishing the State University Professional and Graduate Degree Excellence Program; authorizing students to use certain Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program awards for summer term enrollment beginning in specified years under certain circumstances; extending coverage of the Benacquisto Scholarship Program to include tuition and fees for qualified nonresident students, etc. APPROPRIATION: $123,513,035
Last Action: 3/12/2018 - Chapter No. 2018-4
Bill Text: Web Page | PDF
- Education (ED)
- Appropriations Subcommittee on Higher Education (AHE)
- Appropriations (AP)
• Referred to Education; Appropriations Subcommittee on Higher Education; Appropriations -SJ 10
• On Committee agenda-- Education, 09/12/17, 3:30 pm, 412 Knott Building --Meeting cancelled
• On Committee agenda-- Education, 10/09/17, 3:30 pm, 412 Knott Building
• Favorable by Education; YEAS 9 NAYS 0 -SJ 101
• Now in Appropriations Subcommittee on Higher Education -SJ 101
• On Committee agenda-- Appropriations Subcommittee on Higher Education, 11/08/17, 2:00 pm, 412 Knott Building
• Subcommittee Recommendation: Favorable by Appropriations Subcommittee on Higher Education; YEAS 6 NAYS 0 -SJ 104
• Now in Appropriations -SJ 104
• On Committee agenda-- Appropriations, 12/06/17, 1:30 pm, 412 Knott Building
• CS by- Appropriations; YEAS 19 NAYS 0 -SJ 104
• Pending reference review -under Rule 4.7(2) - (Committee Substitute)
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading -SJ 104
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 01/11/18
• Introduced -SJ 9
• CS by Appropriations read 1st time -SJ 93
• Read 2nd time -SJ 140
• Amendment(s) adopted (526604, 662816) -SJ 140
• Amendment(s) failed (398480) -SJ 140
• Read 3rd time -SJ 140
• CS passed as amended; YEAS 34 NAYS 0 -SJ 140
• Immediately certified -SJ 141
• In Messages
• Referred to Calendar -HJ 684
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 03/02/18
• Received -HJ 683, 684
• Substituted for CS/CS/HB 423 -HJ 812
• Read 2nd time -HJ 812
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 865, 866
• Amendment(s) failed (511359) -HJ 874
• Amendment(s) adopted (843425) -HJ 866
• CS passed as amended; YEAS 84 NAYS 28 -HJ 874, 875
• In returning messages
• Amendment(s) to House amendment(s) failed (104550, 709462) -SJ 715
• Concurred in 1 amendment(s) (843425) -SJ 706, 716
• CS passed as amended; YEAS 33 NAYS 5 -SJ 716
• Ordered engrossed, then enrolled -SJ 716
• Signed by Officers and presented to Governor -SJ 780
• Approved by Governor
• Chapter No. 2018-4
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.