SB 2160 — Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
by Budget Committee
This summary is provided for information only and does not represent the opinion of any Senator, Senate Officer, or Senate Office.
Prepared by: Budget Committee (BC)
The bill contains provisions relating to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles and provides for the following:
- Creates the Division of Motorist Services within the department;
- Transfers the Office of Motor Carrier Compliance sworn law enforcement officers and administrative personnel from the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT);
- Allows the department to contract with a vendor to outsource the online sale of crash records;
- Authorizes revenue sharing with county tax collectors on the issuance of driver’s license replacement and identification cards, beginning July 1, 2015, when the those services are provided by the tax collector;
- Creates a Law Enforcement Consolidation Task Force to evaluate the duplication of law enforcement functions throughout state government; and
- Directs the department to contract with providers for online traffic law and substance abuse education courses to serve as third party provider for online examinations for Class E learner’s driver’s license.
If approved by the Governor, these provisions take effect July 1, 2011.
Vote: Senate 36-2; House 99-20