CS/CS/SB 538 — Emergency Management
by Community Affairs Committee; Infrastructure and Security Committee; and Senators Diaz, Book, Pizzo, and Perry
This summary is provided for information only and does not represent the opinion of any Senator, Senate Officer, or Senate Office.
Prepared by: Infrastructure and Security Committee (IS)
The bill directs the State Watch Office (SWO) to create and maintain a list of emergency related reportable incidents. The list must include, but is not limited to the following:
- Major fire incidents;
- Search and rescue operations;
- Bomb threats;
- Natural hazards and severe weather;
- Public health and population protective actions;
- Animal or agricultural events;
- Environmental concerns;
- Nuclear power plant events;
- Major transportation events;
- Major utility or infrastructure events; and
- Certain military events.
Political subdivisions must notify the SWO of incidents occurring within their geographic boundaries. The SWO may develop guidelines for reporting and must annually provide the list of reportable incidents to political subdivisions.
If approved by the Governor, these provisions take effect July 1, 2020.
Vote: Senate 38-0; House 115-0