SB 4-C — Independent Special Districts
by Senator Bradley
This summary is provided for information only and does not represent the opinion of any Senator, Senate Officer, or Senate Office.
Prepared by: Community Affairs Committee (CA)
The bill provides for the dissolution of any independent special district established by a special act prior to the ratification of the Florida Constitution on November 5, 1968, which has not been reestablished, re-ratified, or otherwise reconstituted by special act or general law after such date. The bill provides that dissolution of the affected districts will occur on June 1, 2023, but that such special districts may be reestablished pursuant to the requirements and limitations of ch.189, F.S., on or after that date.
The bill appears to affect the following six independent special districts:
- Bradford County Development Authority (Bradford County)
- Eastpoint Water and Sewer District (Franklin County)
- Hamilton County Development Authority (Hamilton County)
- Marion County Law Library (Marion County)
- Reedy Creek Improvement District (Orange and Osceola Counties)
- Sunshine Water Control District (Broward County)
If approved by the Governor, these provisions take effect July 1, 2022.
Vote: Senate 23-16; House 70-38