SB 1202 — Discounts on Public Park Entrance Fees and Transportation Fares
by Senator Abruzzo
This summary is provided for information only and does not represent the opinion of any Senator, Senate Officer, or Senate Office.
Prepared by: Military and Veterans Affairs, Space, and Domestic Security Committee (MS)
The bill requires county and municipal departments of parks and recreation to provide a full or partial discount on park entrance fees to the following individuals:
- Current military service members;
- Honorably discharged veterans;
- Honorably discharged veterans with a service-connected disability;
- The surviving spouse or parents of a military service member who died in combat; and
- The surviving spouse or parent of a law enforcement officer, firefighter, emergency medical technician, or paramedic who died in the line of duty.
A park entrance fee is defined as a fee charged to access lands managed by a county or municipal park or recreation department. The term does not include expanded amenity fees for amenities such as campgrounds, aquatic facilities, stadiums or arenas, facility rentals, special events, boat launching, golf, zoos, museums, gardens, or programs taking place within public lands.
The bill also requires regional transportation authorities to provide disabled veterans with discounts on fares for the use of fixed-route transportation systems operated by the authority.
If approved by the Governor, these provisions take effect July 1, 2016.
Vote: Senate 37-0; House 114-0