CS/HB 1147 — Character-development Instruction
by K-12 Subcommittee; and Reps. Latvala, Fitzenhagen, and others (CS/CS/SB 1462 by Appropriations Committee; Education Pre-K – 12 Committee; and Senator Latvala)
This summary is provided for information only and does not represent the opinion of any Senator, Senate Officer, or Senate Office.
Prepared by: Education Pre-K - 12 Committee (ED)
The bill expands the requirements for high school character-development programs to include instruction on developing life and career-related skills.
Specifically, the bill requires instruction on:
- Developing leadership skills, interpersonal skills, organization skills, and research skills;
- Creating a resume;
- Developing and practicing the skills necessary for employment interviews;
- Conflict resolution, workplace ethics, and workplace law;
- Managing stress and expectations; and
- Developing skills that enable students to become more resilient and self-motivated.
If approved by the Governor, these provisions take effect July 1, 2016.
Vote: Senate 39-0; House 111-2