- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2004 Florida Statutes
Motor vehicle liability policies; required provisions.
324.151 Motor vehicle liability policies; required provisions.--
(1) A motor vehicle liability policy to be proof of financial responsibility under s. 324.031(1), shall be issued to owners or operators under the following provisions:
(a) An owner's liability insurance policy shall designate by explicit description or by appropriate reference all motor vehicles with respect to which coverage is thereby granted and shall insure the owner named therein and any other person as operator using such motor vehicle or motor vehicles with the express or implied permission of such owner against loss from the liability imposed by law for damage arising out of the ownership, maintenance, or use of such motor vehicle or motor vehicles within the United States or the Dominion of Canada, subject to limits, exclusive of interest and costs with respect to each such motor vehicle as is provided for under s. 324.021(7). Insurers may make available, with respect to property damage liability coverage, a deductible amount not to exceed $500. In the event of a property damage loss covered by a policy containing a property damage deductible provision, the insurer shall pay to the third-party claimant the amount of any property damage liability settlement or judgment, subject to policy limits, as if no deductible existed.
(b) An operator's motor vehicle liability policy of insurance shall insure the person named therein against loss from the liability imposed upon him or her by law for damages arising out of the use by the person of any motor vehicle not owned by him or her, with the same territorial limits and subject to the same limits of liability as referred to above with respect to an owner's policy of liability insurance.
(c) All such motor vehicle liability policies shall state the name and address of the named insured, the coverage afforded by the policy, the premium charged therefor, the policy period, the limits of liability, and shall contain an agreement or be endorsed that insurance is provided in accordance with the coverage defined in this chapter as respects bodily injury and death or property damage or both and is subject to all provisions of this chapter. Said policies shall also contain a provision that the satisfaction by an insured of a judgment for such injury or damage shall not be a condition precedent to the right or duty of the insurance carrier to make payment on account of such injury or damage, and shall also contain a provision that bankruptcy or insolvency of the insured or of the insured's estate shall not relieve the insurance carrier of any of its obligations under said policy.
(2) The provisions of this section shall not be applicable to any automobile liability policy unless and until it is furnished as proof of financial responsibility for the future pursuant to s. 324.031, and then only from and after the date said policy is so furnished.
History.--s. 1, ch. 29963, 1955; s. 24, ch. 57-1; s. 1, ch. 65-489; s. 1, ch. 71-325; s. 9, ch. 88-370; s. 438, ch. 95-148.
Note.--Former s. 324.10.