- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2004 Florida Statutes
Capital funds required; new insurers.
624.407 Capital funds required; new insurers.--
(1) To receive authority to transact any one kind or combinations of kinds of insurance, as defined in part V of this chapter, an insurer applying for its original certificate of authority in this state after the effective date of this section shall possess surplus as to policyholders not less than the greater of:
(a) Five million dollars for a property and casualty insurer, or $2.5 million for any other insurer;
(b) For life insurers, 4 percent of the insurer's total liabilities;
(c) For life and health insurers, 4 percent of the insurer's total liabilities, plus 6 percent of the insurer's liabilities relative to health insurance; or
(d) For all insurers other than life insurers and life and health insurers, 10 percent of the insurer's total liabilities;
however, no insurer shall be required under this subsection to have surplus as to policyholders greater than $100 million.
(2) The requirements of this section shall be based upon all the kinds of insurance actually transacted or to be transacted by the insurer in any and all areas in which it operates, whether or not only a portion of such kinds are to be transacted in this state.
(3) As to surplus as to policyholders required for qualification to transact one or more kinds of insurance, domestic mutual insurers are governed by chapter 628, and domestic reciprocal insurers are governed by chapter 629.
(4) For the purposes of this section, liabilities shall not include liabilities required under s. 625.041(4). For purposes of computing minimum surplus as to policyholders pursuant to s. 625.305(1), liabilities shall include liabilities required under s. 625.041(4).
(5) The provisions of this section, as amended by this act, shall apply only to insurers applying for a certificate of authority on or after the effective date of this act.
History.--s. 51, ch. 59-205; s. 1, ch. 63-29; s. 1, ch. 67-235; s. 3, ch. 76-168; s. 1, ch. 77-457; ss. 2, 3, ch. 81-318; ss. 43, 64, 809(1st), ch. 82-243; s. 2, ch. 85-245; s. 25, ch. 89-360; ss. 15, 187, 188, ch. 91-108; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 5, ch. 93-410.