2013 Florida Statutes
742.13 Definitions.—As used in ss. 742.11-742.17, the term:
(1) “Assisted reproductive technology” means those procreative procedures which involve the laboratory handling of human eggs or preembryos, including, but not limited to, in vitro fertilization embryo transfer, gamete intrafallopian transfer, pronuclear stage transfer, tubal embryo transfer, and zygote intrafallopian transfer.
(2) “Commissioning couple” means the intended mother and father of a child who will be conceived by means of assisted reproductive technology using the eggs or sperm of at least one of the intended parents.
(3) “Egg” means the unfertilized female reproductive cell.
(4) “Fertilization” means the initial union of an egg and sperm.
(5) “Gestational surrogate” means a woman who contracts to become pregnant by means of assisted reproductive technology without the use of an egg from her body.
(6) “Gestational surrogacy” means a state that results from a process in which a commissioning couple’s eggs or sperm, or both, are mixed in vitro and the resulting preembryo is implanted within another woman’s body.
(7) “Gestational surrogacy contract” means a written agreement between the gestational surrogate and the commissioning couple.
(8) “Gamete intrafallopian transfer” means the direct transfer of eggs and sperm into the fallopian tube prior to fertilization.
(9) “Implantation” means the event that occurs when a fertilized egg adheres to the uterine wall for nourishment.
(10) “In vitro” refers to a laboratory procedure performed in an artificial environment outside a woman’s body.
(11) “In vitro fertilization embryo transfer” means the transfer of an in vitro fertilized preembryo into a woman’s uterus.
(12) “Preembryo” means the product of fertilization of an egg by a sperm until the appearance of the embryonic axis.
(13) “Pronuclear stage transfer” or “zygote intrafallopian transfer” means the transfer of an in vitro fertilized preembryo into the fallopian tube before cell division takes place.
(14) “Sperm” means the male reproductive cell.
(15) “Tubal embryo transfer” means the transfer of a dividing, in vitro fertilized preembryo into the fallopian tube.
History.—s. 2, ch. 93-237.