As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) “Distributor” means any person who sells, leases, or offers or otherwise provides, distributes, or services any slot machine or associated equipment for use or play of slot machines in this state. A manufacturer may be a distributor within the state.
(2) “Designated slot machine gaming area” means the area or areas of a facility of a slot machine licensee in which slot machine gaming may be conducted in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.
(3) “Division” means the Division of Pari-mutuel Wagering of the Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
(4) “Eligible facility” means any licensed pari-mutuel facility located in Miami-Dade County or Broward County existing at the time of adoption of s. 23, Art. X of the State Constitution that has conducted live racing or games during calendar years 2002 and 2003 and has been approved by a majority of voters in a countywide referendum to have slot machines at such facility in the respective county; any licensed pari-mutuel facility located within a county as defined in s. 125.011, provided such facility has conducted live racing for 2 consecutive calendar years immediately preceding its application for a slot machine license, pays the required license fee, and meets the other requirements of this chapter; or any licensed pari-mutuel facility in any other county in which a majority of voters have approved slot machines at such facilities in a countywide referendum held pursuant to a statutory or constitutional authorization after the effective date of this section in the respective county, provided such facility has conducted a full schedule of live racing for 2 consecutive calendar years immediately preceding its application for a slot machine license, pays the required licensed fee, and meets the other requirements of this chapter.
(5) “Manufacturer” means any person who manufactures, builds, rebuilds, fabricates, assembles, produces, programs, designs, or otherwise makes modifications to any slot machine or associated equipment for use or play of slot machines in this state for gaming purposes. A manufacturer may be a distributor within the state.
(6) “Nonredeemable credits” means slot machine operating credits that cannot be redeemed for cash or any other thing of value by a slot machine, kiosk, or the slot machine licensee and that are provided free of charge to patrons. Such credits do not constitute “nonredeemable credits” until such time as they are metered as credit into a slot machine and recorded in the facility-based monitoring system.
(7) “Progressive system” means a computerized system linking slot machines in one or more licensed facilities within this state or other jurisdictions and offering one or more common progressive payouts based on the amounts wagered.
(8) “Slot machine” means any mechanical or electrical contrivance, terminal that may or may not be capable of downloading slot games from a central server system, machine, or other device that, upon insertion of a coin, bill, ticket, token, or similar object or upon payment of any consideration whatsoever, including the use of any electronic payment system except a credit card or debit card, is available to play or operate, the play or operation of which, whether by reason of skill or application of the element of chance or both, may deliver or entitle the person or persons playing or operating the contrivance, terminal, machine, or other device to receive cash, billets, tickets, tokens, or electronic credits to be exchanged for cash or to receive merchandise or anything of value whatsoever, whether the payoff is made automatically from the machine or manually. The term includes associated equipment necessary to conduct the operation of the contrivance, terminal, machine, or other device. Slot machines may use spinning reels, video displays, or both. A slot machine is not a “coin-operated amusement machine” as defined in s. 212.02(24) or an amusement game or machine as described in s. 546.10, and slot machines are not subject to the tax imposed by s. 212.05(1)(h).
(9) “Slot machine facility” means a facility at which slot machines as defined in this chapter are lawfully offered for play.
(10) “Slot machine license” means a license issued by the division authorizing a pari-mutuel permitholder to place and operate slot machines as provided by s. 23, Art. X of the State Constitution, the provisions of this chapter, and division rules.
(11) “Slot machine licensee” means a pari-mutuel permitholder who holds a license issued by the division pursuant to this chapter that authorizes such person to possess a slot machine within facilities specified in s. 23, Art. X of the State Constitution and allows slot machine gaming.
(12) “Slot machine operator” means a person employed or contracted by the owner of a licensed facility to conduct slot machine gaming at that licensed facility.
(13) “Slot machine revenues” means the total of all cash and property, except nonredeemable credits, received by the slot machine licensee from the operation of slot machines less the amount of cash, cash equivalents, credits, and prizes paid to winners of slot machine gaming.