2017 Florida Statutes
520.02 Definitions.—In this act, unless the context or subject matter otherwise requires:
(1) “Branch” means any location, other than a licensee’s principal place of business, at which a licensee operates or conducts business under this act or which a licensee owns or controls for the purpose of conducting business under this act.
(2) “Cash price” means the price at which a seller, in the ordinary course of business, offers to sell for cash the property or service that is the subject of the transaction. At the seller’s option, the term “cash price” may include the price of accessories, services related to the sale, service contracts, and taxes and fees for license, title, and registration of the motor vehicle. The term “cash price” does not include any finance charge.
(3) “Commission” means the Financial Services Commission.
(4) “Control person” means an individual, partnership, corporation, trust, or other organization that possesses the power, directly or indirectly, to direct the management or policies of a company, whether through ownership of securities, by contract, or otherwise. A person is presumed to control a company if, with respect to a particular company, that person:
(a) Is a director, general partner, or officer exercising executive responsibility or having similar status or functions;
(b) Directly or indirectly may vote 10 percent or more of a class of a voting security or sell or direct the sale of 10 percent or more of a class of voting securities; or
(c) In the case of a partnership, may receive upon dissolution or has contributed 10 percent or more of the capital.
(5) “Down payment” means the amount, including the value of any property used as a trade-in, paid to a seller to reduce the cash price of goods or services purchased in a credit sale transaction. A deferred portion of a down payment may be treated as part of the down payment if it is payable not later than the due date of the second otherwise regularly scheduled payment and is not subject to a finance charge.
(6) “Finance charge” means the cost of consumer credit as a dollar amount. The term “finance charge” includes any charge payable directly or indirectly by the buyer and imposed directly or indirectly by the seller as an incident to or a condition of the extension of credit. The term “finance charge” does not include any charge of a type payable in a comparable cash transaction.
(7) “Guaranteed asset protection product” means a loan, lease, or retail installment contract term, or modification or addendum to a loan, lease, or retail installment contract, under which a creditor agrees to waive a customer’s liability for payment of some or all of the amount by which the debt exceeds the value of the collateral. Such a product is not insurance for purposes of the Florida Insurance Code. This subsection also applies to all guaranteed asset protection products issued before October 1, 2008.
(8) “Holder” of a retail installment contract means the retail seller of a motor vehicle retail installment contract or an assignee of such contract.
(9) “Mobile home” means a structure, transportable in one or more sections, which is 8 body feet or more in width and is 32 body feet or more in length, designed to be used as a dwelling with or without a permanent foundation when connected to the required utilities, and includes the plumbing, heating, air-conditioning, and electrical systems contained therein.
(10) “Motor vehicle” means any device or vehicle, including automobiles, motorcycles, motor trucks, trailers, mobile homes, and all other vehicles operated over the public highways and streets of this state and propelled by power other than muscular power, but excluding traction engines, road rollers, implements of husbandry and other agricultural equipment, and vehicles which run only upon a track.
(11) “Motor vehicle retail installment seller” or “seller” means a person engaged in the business of selling motor vehicles to retail buyers in retail installment transactions.
(12) “Office” means the Office of Financial Regulation of the commission.
(13) “Official fees” means fees and charges prescribed by law which actually are or will be paid to public officials for determining the existence of, or for perfecting, releasing, or satisfying, any security related to the credit transaction, or the premium payable for any insurance in lieu of perfecting any security interest otherwise required by the creditor in connection with the transaction, if the premium does not exceed the fees and charges which would otherwise be payable to public officials.
(14) “Person” means an individual, partnership, corporation, association, and any other group however organized.
(15) “Principal place of business” means the physical location designated on the licensee’s application for licensure, unless otherwise designated as required by this chapter.
(16) “Retail buyer” or “buyer” means a person who buys a motor vehicle from a seller not principally for the purpose of resale, and who executes a retail installment contract in connection therewith or a person who succeeds to the rights and obligations of such person.
(17) “Retail installment contract” or “contract” means an agreement, entered into in this state, pursuant to which the title to, or a lien upon the motor vehicle, which is the subject matter of a retail installment transaction, is retained or taken by a seller from a retail buyer as security, in whole or in part, for the buyer’s obligation. The term includes a conditional sales contract and a contract for the bailment or leasing of a motor vehicle by which the bailee or lessee contracts to pay as compensation for its use a sum substantially equivalent to or in excess of its value and by which it is agreed that the bailee or lessee is bound to become, or for no further or a merely nominal consideration, has the option of becoming, the owner of the motor vehicle upon full compliance with the provisions of the contract.
(18) “Retail installment transaction” means any transaction evidenced by a retail installment contract entered into between a retail buyer and a seller wherein the retail buyer buys a motor vehicle from the seller at a deferred payment price payable in one or more deferred installments.
(19) “Sales finance company” means a person engaged in the business of purchasing retail installment contracts from one or more sellers. The term includes, but is not limited to, a bank or trust company, if so engaged. The term does not include the pledge of an aggregate number of such contracts to secure a bona fide loan thereon.
(20) Words in the singular include the plural and vice versa.
History.—s. 1, ch. 57-799; s. 1, ch. 59-456; s. 1, ch. 61-117; s. 1, ch. 63-101; ss. 12, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 1, ch. 69-370; s. 198, ch. 71-377; s. 3, ch. 76-168; s. 1, ch. 77-457; ss. 1, 21, ch. 80-256; s. 1, ch. 81-102; s. 400, ch. 81-259; s. 2, ch. 81-318; s. 1, ch. 83-123; ss. 2, 35, 36, ch. 90-103; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 6, ch. 99-164; s. 619, ch. 2003-261; s. 40, ch. 2006-213; s. 1, ch. 2008-75.