- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2018 Florida Statutes
District school superintendent; salary.
District school superintendent; salary.
1001.47 District school superintendent; salary.—
(1) Each elected district school superintendent shall receive as salary the amount indicated pursuant to this section. However, a district school board, by majority vote, may approve a salary in excess of the amount specified in this section.
(2) Each elected district school superintendent shall receive a base salary, the amounts indicated in this subsection, based on the population of the county the elected superintendent serves. In addition, compensation shall be made for population increments over the minimum for each population group, which shall be determined by multiplying the population in excess of the minimum for the group times the group rate. The product of such calculation shall be added to the base salary to determine the adjusted base salary. Laws that increase the base salary provided in this subsection shall contain provisions on no other subject.
|Pop. Group||County Pop. Range||Base Salary||Group Rate|
(3) The adjusted base salaries of elected district school superintendents shall be increased annually as provided for in s. 145.19. Any salary previously paid to elected superintendents, including the salary calculated for fiscal years 2002-2003 and 2003-2004, which was consistent with chapter 145 and s. 230.303, Florida Statutes (2001), is hereby ratified and validated.
(4)(a) There shall be an additional $2,000 per year special qualification salary paid by district school boards for each elected district school superintendent who has met the certification requirements established by the Department of Education. Any elected district school superintendent who is certified during a calendar year shall receive in that year a pro rata share of the special qualification salary based on the remaining period of the year.
(b) In order to qualify for the special qualification salary provided by paragraph (a), the elected district school superintendent must complete the requirements established by the Department of Education within 6 years after first taking office.
(c) After an elected district school superintendent meets the requirements of paragraph (a), in order to remain certified the district school superintendent shall thereafter be required to complete each year a course of continuing education as prescribed by the Department of Education.
(5)(a) The Department of Education shall provide a leadership development and performance compensation program for elected district school superintendents, comparable to chief executive officer development programs for corporate executive officers, to include:
1. A content-knowledge-and-skills phase consisting of: creative leadership models and theory, demonstration of effective practice, simulation exercises and personal skills practice, and assessment with feedback, taught in a professional training setting under the direction of experienced, successful trainers.
2. A competency-acquisition phase consisting of on-the-job application of knowledge and skills for a period of not less than 6 months following the successful completion of the content-knowledge-and-skills phase. The competency-acquisition phase shall be supported by adequate professional technical assistance provided by experienced trainers approved by the department. Competency acquisition shall be demonstrated through assessment and feedback.
(b) Upon the successful completion of both phases and demonstrated successful performance, as determined by the department, an elected district school superintendent shall be issued a Chief Executive Officer Leadership Development Certificate, and the department shall pay an annual performance salary incentive of not less than $3,000 nor more than $7,500 based upon his or her performance evaluation.
(c) An elected district school superintendent’s eligibility to continue receiving the annual performance salary incentive is contingent upon his or her continued performance assessment and followup training prescribed by the department.
(6) Notwithstanding the provisions of this section and s. 145.19, elected district school superintendents may reduce their salary rate on a voluntary basis.
History.—s. 67, ch. 2002-387; s. 28, ch. 2004-41; s. 1, ch. 2006-301; s. 8, ch. 2009-59; s. 16, ch. 2014-39.