CS/HB 841: Powers of Attorney
GENERAL BILL by Judiciary Committee ; Powell ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Berman ; Rader ; Spano
Powers of Attorney; Provides additional exceptions to applicability of specified power of attorney provisions; provides that an original power of attorney may recorded in official records; adds exceptions to provision that prohibits agent who has accepted appointment from delegating authority to third person; authorizes third person to require an agent to execute affidavit stating that agent's authority was not terminated because of certain circumstances; revises form for affidavits; requires third person who rejects power of attorney for certain reasons to state reason for rejection in writing; provides for notice to broker-dealer; revises provisions relating to when notary may sign principal's name to documents; clarifies that certain gift amounts are based on calendar year; specifies that broker-dealer does not have duty to inquire into certain actions by an agent & is not liable for relying in good faith on an agent's actions; provides that agent acquires general authority regarding securities held by broker-dealer.
• Referred to Civil Justice Subcommittee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 85
• Introduced -HJ 85
• On Committee agenda-- Civil Justice Subcommittee, 03/13/13, 12:00 pm, 404 HOB
• Favorable by Civil Justice Subcommittee; YEAS 13 NAYS 0 -HJ 248
• Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 248
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 03/20/13, 8:00 am, 404 HOB
• CS by- Judiciary Committee; YEAS 18 NAYS 0 -HJ 333
• Pending review of CS -under Rule 7.19(c)
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 346
• CS by Judiciary Committee read 1st time -HJ 341
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/02/13
• Read 2nd time -HJ 394
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 421
• CS passed; YEAS 118 NAYS 0 -HJ 421
• In Messages
• Referred to Judiciary; Governmental Oversight and Accountability; Rules -SJ 435
• Received -SJ 435
• Withdrawn from Judiciary; Governmental Oversight and Accountability; Rules -SJ 517
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading -SJ 517
• Substituted for SB 832 -SJ 517
• Read 2nd time -SJ 517
• Read 3rd time -SJ 517
• CS passed; YEAS 38 NAYS 0 -SJ 517
• Immediately certified -SJ 578
• Ordered enrolled -HJ 825
• Signed by Officers and presented to Governor
• Approved by Governor
• Chapter No. 2013-90
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.