HB 43: Churches or Religious Organizations
GENERAL BILL by Plakon ; Cortes, B. ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Adkins ; Ahern ; Albritton ; Artiles ; Baxley ; Bileca ; Broxson ; Campbell ; Costello ; Drake ; Eisnaugle ; Fant ; Gonzalez ; Harrison ; Hill ; Mayfield ; Metz ; Moraitis ; O'Toole ; Renner ; Rodrigues, R. ; Stone ; Sullivan ; Van Zant ; Wood
Churches or Religious Organizations; Provides that churches or religious organizations, related organizations, or certain individuals may not be required to solemnize any marriage or provide services, accommodations, facilities, goods, or privileges for related purposes if such action would violate sincerely held religious belief; prohibits certain legal actions, penalties, or governmental sanctions against such individuals or entities.
Last Action: 3/10/2016 - Chapter No. 2016-50
Location: Became Law
Bill Text: PDF
• Referred to Civil Justice Subcommittee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 10
• On Committee agenda-- Civil Justice Subcommittee, 10/07/15, 1:00 pm, Sumner Hall
• Favorable by Civil Justice Subcommittee; YEAS 9 NAYS 4 -HJ 157
• Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 157
• Introduced -HJ 10
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 01/28/16, 9:00 am, Sumner Hall --Temporarily postponed
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 02/04/16, 9:00 am, Sumner Hall
• Favorable by- Judiciary Committee; YEAS 12 NAYS 5 -HJ 399
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 399
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 03/01/16
• Read 2nd time -HJ 617
• Amendment(s) adopted (028115, 317591) -HJ 617
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 651
• Passed as amended; YEAS 82 NAYS 37 -HJ 651
• In Messages
• Referred to Judiciary; Community Affairs; Rules -SJ 585
• Received -SJ 585
• Withdrawn from Judiciary; Community Affairs; Rules -SJ 563
• Placed on Calendar, on 2nd reading -SJ 563
• Substituted for SB 110 -SJ 563
• Read 2nd time -SJ 563
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -SJ 633
• Amendment(s) failed (767712)
• Passed; YEAS 23 NAYS 15 -SJ 633
• Ordered enrolled -HJ 723
• Signed by Officers and presented to Governor -HJ 726
• Approved by Governor -HJ 1048
• Chapter No. 2016-50
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.