HJR 1: Judicial Term Limits
JOINT RESOLUTION by Sullivan ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Albritton ; Eagle ; Fischer ; Metz
Judicial Term Limits; Proposes amendment to State Constitution to limit to 12 consecutive years, the number of years supreme court justices & district court judges may hold the same office & prohibiting justices or district court judges from being reappointed for 1 year after leaving office. Justices and district court judges in office on January 9, 2019 & future appointees are subject to term limit.
Location: In committee/council (JU)
Bill Text: PDF
• Referred to Civil Justice and Claims Subcommittee; Judiciary Committee -HJ 30
• On Committee agenda-- Civil Justice and Claims Subcommittee, 02/09/17, 9:00 am, Sumner Hall
• Favorable by Civil Justice and Claims Subcommittee; YEAS 8 NAYS 7 -HJ 270
• Now in Judiciary Committee -HJ 270
• On Committee agenda-- Judiciary Committee, 02/21/17, 4:00 pm, Sumner Hall
• Favorable by- Judiciary Committee; YEAS 11 NAYS 8 -HJ 272
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 272
• Introduced -HJ 30
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 03/29/17
• Read 2nd time -HJ 470
• Amendment(s) failed (115709, 203245, 240027, 368361, 439969, 501941, 728183, 760147, 872591, 924205) -HJ 470
• Read 3rd time -HJ 473,474
• Passed; YEAS 73 NAYS 46 -HJ 474
• In Messages
• Referred to Judiciary; Rules -SJ 328
• Received -SJ 328
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.