CS/HB 1205: Viatical Settlement Contracts
GENERAL BILL by Insurance and Banking Subcommittee ; Stevenson
Viatical Settlement Contracts; Provides additional prohibited acts related to viatical settlement contracts; revises conditions & requirements in which viatical settlement contracts entered into within a specified period are valid; provides specified acts & transactions relating to stranger-originated life insurance practices are void & enforceable; authorizes challenges to policies obtained through such practices.
Last Action: 5/5/2017 Senate - Died in Banking and Insurance, companion bill(s) passed, see CS/CS/CS/HB 1007 (Ch. 2017-178)
Bill Text: PDF
- Banking and Insurance (BI)
- Appropriations (AP)
- Rules (RC)
• Referred to Insurance and Banking Subcommittee; Civil Justice and Claims Subcommittee; Commerce Committee -HJ 127
• Introduced -HJ 127
• PCS on Committee agenda-- Insurance and Banking Subcommittee, 03/27/17, 12:30 pm, Sumner Hall
• CS by Insurance and Banking Subcommittee; YEAS 11 NAYS 0 -HJ 522
• Pending review of CS under Rule 7.18(c)
• CS by Insurance and Banking Subcommittee read 1st time -HJ 517
• Original reference(s) removed: Civil Justice and Claims Subcommittee
• CS referred to Commerce Committee -HJ 528
• Now in Commerce Committee -HJ 528
• On Committee agenda-- Commerce Committee, 04/06/17, 1:30 pm, Webster Hall
• Favorable by- Commerce Committee; YEAS 17 NAYS 4 -HJ 602
• Placed on Calendar -HJ 602
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/18/17
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/19/17
• Temporarily postponed, on 2nd Reading -HJ 744
• Placed on Special Order Calendar, 04/25/17
• Read 2nd time -HJ 831
• Amendment(s) adopted (063463, 896111) -HJ 831, 832
• Placed on 3rd reading
• Read 3rd time -HJ 873
• CS passed as amended; YEAS 116 NAYS 1 -HJ 873
• In Messages
• Referred to Banking and Insurance; Appropriations; Rules -SJ 493
• Received -SJ 493
• Indefinitely postponed and withdrawn from consideration
• Died in Banking and Insurance, companion bill(s) passed, see CS/CS/CS/HB 1007 (Ch. 2017-178)
Companion bills that are identical word-for-word, not including titles. However, Resolutions and Concurrent Resolutions are considered identical if the only difference is the word "House" or "Senate."
Companion bills that are substantially similar in text or have substantial portions of text that are largely the same.
Bills that have selected provisions that are similar in text.
A bill that is contingent upon passage of another bill within the same chamber, e.g., a trust fund bill, a bill providing a public record exemption, or an implementing bill.
The page numbers, when listed, for citations are constantly under review. The journals or printed bills of the respective chambers should be consulted as the official documents of the Legislature.
The links for the page numbers are formatted to open the bill text PDF directly to the page containing the citation. However, if your browser is set to open PDFs in a new window, as is often the case with 64-bit browsers, the bill text will open to the first page.